ScoutRifle.org The Scout Rifle Community
Welcome, Guest. Please Fall In or register.
July 30, 2014, 04:05:46 AM

Login with Scout Name, credentials, and session length
Recon:     Advanced Recon
41559 Posts in 3846 Topics by 1967 Scouts
Latest Scout: War Eagle
* Home Help Recon Fall In Enlist with ScoutRifle.org
+  The Scout Rifle Community
|-+  Scout Discussions
| |-+  Factory Scouts
| | |-+  Savage Scout
0 Scouts and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Savage Scout  (Read 3756 times)
LostViking
Cub Scout

View Dossier
« on: March 04, 2011, 04:03:15 AM »

I see that Savage now makes the Scout rifle in 7.62X39. Any thoughts on that rifle chambered in this caliber. I see the ballistic charts have the 7.62 dropping about 14" at the the 300 yard mark.

I was just curious what folks think about the combo. Given the fact the Scout is designed to work at closer ranges anyway. I see it as an interesting combo.
Enforcer
Scout Master

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 06:09:15 AM »

Would throw the rifle into a general purpose rifle; but barely. A general purpose rifle needs a medium range cartridge and the 7.62x39 falls a little short in that department.

PrivateContractor
Scout Master

View Dossier
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 07:35:43 AM »

I have been a fan of the Savage, especially in recent years, with the advent of the Accustock and Accutrigger it becomes quite a inclusive package. I currently have two Savage rifles that I use in competitions as well as when I am on duty. I use to be a die-hard Remington fan, however for an out-of-the-box rig, the Savage is the way to go.

The 7.62x39mm is definitely not a choice for an all around performer. Even though it may look decent on paper, ammunition production methods for this cartridge mean that alot of the vailable bargain ammunition is inconsistent, making it necessary to purchase quality main stream ammunition. Unless you load your own, bullet composition is generally not quality construction.
I will stick to my low BC values of my 308 and 338 Lapua loadws.

While I might not be interested in this cartridge for myself, its light recoil characteristics and low prices on ammunition lend it to a possible role as a youth model rifle. Or just an economical plinker for those wanting to do so. I am glad to see other chamberings being offered.

just my $.02

Kevin
Private Military Contractor

".........Only the dead have seen the end of war!"
Shooterer
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 09:09:48 AM »

Cheap ammo for volume shooting/ practice.

I would buy one. 95% of my rifles are for "fun shootin" the other 5% are only used in conjunction with black helicopters (things I can't discuss here).

Stand up for what is right, even if you stand alone.
michaelb
JAFO

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 03:29:33 PM »

For the fella who can afford two a Savage Scout in 7.62x39 might make an interesting trainer and short range venison harvester, especially for he as who does not own a reloading bench.

"The object of the practical rifleman is the achievement of first-round hits, on appropriate targets, at unknown ranges, from improvised firing positions, against the clock." - Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
triggertime
JAFO

Brass in the air

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 05:14:06 PM »

I purchases a Ruger compact in 7.62X39 last year.  6 Lbs with iron sights and sling,
sweet little rifle,  and tons of ammo out there.

Take your time, but be quick about it
LostViking
Cub Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 04:07:38 AM »

Good Thoughts,

Thanks,
natman
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 11:53:45 AM »

Since the exact same rifle is available in 308, I don't see much point except as a cheap to feed range toy.
F224
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 01:55:12 PM »

Since the exact same rifle is available in 308, I don't see much point except as a cheap to feed range toy.

I have seen them in Africa as hunting camp and home defense guns. They make sense because 7.62x39 ammo is everywhere, and it's cheap.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com
triggertime
JAFO

Brass in the air

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 08:23:27 PM »

Unless you have run out of 308, or want to save the 308 for longer range/more important stuff ?  It could be worse, if you are down to using your  5.56 as a primary, you are now in deep doo doo    Cool

Take your time, but be quick about it
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Want help with your SMF Forum or WebSite contact Small Networking Assistant!