ScoutRifle.org The Scout Rifle Community
Welcome, Guest. Please Fall In or register.
August 22, 2014, 10:39:27 AM

Login with Scout Name, credentials, and session length
Recon:     Advanced Recon
Email me for forum approval: andy@shottist.com
42181 Posts in 3895 Topics by 1985 Scouts
Latest Scout: micfurm48
* Home Help Recon Fall In Enlist with ScoutRifle.org
+  The Scout Rifle Community
|-+  Scout Discussions
| |-+  Scout Accessories
| | |-+  Ruger GSR Mag Pouches
0 Scouts and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Ruger GSR Mag Pouches  (Read 8756 times)
ML
Scout

View Dossier
« on: February 25, 2011, 08:34:13 PM »

MY NAME IS The Nine-Fingered Rat Bastard, and I have an addiction.

Wait, that’s my introduction to another group.

Come to think of it, maybe it’s applicable here as well. So let’s try again. My name is The Nine-Fingered Rat Bastard, and I’m addicted to . . . magazines. Sure, that includes the kind with naked 20-year-old southern German women. But today I’m talking about the kind that hold rifle or pistol cartridges.

Like many of you, if a rifle or handgun has a detachable magazine, I figure I need ten or twenty or thirty of the goddamned things. Maybe in a couple of years you’ll come visit me in the rest home and tell me why I should have bought Microsoft stock or long-term medical insurance instead of all that .270 Winchester Silvertip ammunition and 1911 mags I got laying around. But since I’m still walking on my two hind legs and shooting off my two hind feet, let’s deal with what we got here: the new Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle and its detachable box magazine.

Presently, the GSR uses a steel five-or ten-round magazine. (One’s faith in capitalism and Ruger’s rumors regarding plastic magazines hold out for other options.) Yet today is today, so let’s look at what we got to work with.

Maybe the smart HS/LD operators here have developed a superior protocol, but being the barely literate schmuck that I am, I figure the hot ticket with the GSR is going to be carrying it with one five-round magazine in the stick and a ten-round box (or two or three or five) on the belt. That requires some sort of magazine pouch. And that’s that we’re talking about here.

The Specter #271Pouch (“Single, Universal Rifle, Carbine, SMG Mag Pouch, MOLLIE Compatible") handily holds the Ruger GSR ten-rounds (shown at the top of this post).

The Specter #320Pouch (“Modular Single Handcuff, MOLLIE Compatible," shown below) holds the Ruger five-rounder. Both will fit on MOLLIE gear or your normal belt.

NO DOUBT THERE’S better stuff out there, and maybe the brothers and sisters on the scoutrifle.org Forum will share their findings. But right now we’re on the cutting edge. If we work together, maybe we’ll figure this stuff out.

Hope this is of some help. Thanks in advance for your contributions to this matter. And, As Jeff Cooper used to sign off all his correspondence with me,

Cordially,

--ML

« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 01:25:29 PM by ML » Logged
Andy
Administrator
JAFO

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 06:37:04 AM »

Sweet gear!

I need to snag some mags to mold a pile of leather pouches...

Andy

Sale on Rhodesian Scout Rifle Slings, http://www.andysleather.com !
Andy Langlois
Custom Rifle Slings, Holsters and more
http://andysleather.com/
The "Ching Sling" maker!
Call me if you need one, 603-630-4072
Please email me for fastest response: andy@shottist.com
Roadie
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 02:29:47 PM »

ML,

Good find the only other pouch I have seen is the one on the Alpha Mag sight and there is no price. http://www.alphaindmfg.com/index.html

I have been looking for options but need to pick up some 5 rd mags to go shopping with to see what they and the 10 rd mag fits in. I have seen lots of possible pouches but need to try fitting the mags to be sure. The ones you have there what are they made of? They look more than functional.

Roadie

I don't think it is so much of a hero worship or quasi-religion thing as the closer you get to the actual specifications of the Scout Rifle the better the dang thing works in the field.
ML
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 08:36:12 PM »

Roadie--

You're right; I could have done a better job talking about those pouches. Let me try to remedy that.

I don't think there's anything magic about the Specter pouches, but they're what my local shop had in stock, and the guys there were good enough to let me wander around until I could find something that fit.

Both pouches use MOLLIE straps (2) on the back, which lets them fit not only MOLLIE gear but normal belts too. The ten-round pouch will fit belts as wide as 5.5 inches and as narrow as one inch. The five-round pouch will fit belts as wide as three inches and as narrow as two inches.

Both are made out of heavy Nylon Cordura. The backs and flaps are double thickness, and the pouch itself single thickness. Both close with two-inch-wide velcro.

The ten-round pouch has an elastic band running left-to-right under the velcro to help cinch the contents of the pouch tight. It also features a drain-hole grommet visible in the photos.

Note that the five-round magazine fits FRONT down in its pouch while the ten-round magazine fits TOP down. In the two photos, the magazines are shown oriented in the way they fit into the pouches.

I don't know that there's anything special about Specter gear, but for these pouches the construction is certainly adequate. There's enough structure to give the magazines some amount of protection.

List price for the ten-round pouch was $24.95, and $16.95 for the five-round "handcuff" pouch, but my local shop was having a 40-percent-off sale (sweet!).

I will note this: the five-round Ruger GSR steel magazine will also fit into an ALICE compass or first-aid-dressing pouch, although those pouches offer little protection and flop around due to their single ALICE-clip construction. For me the Specter pouch is a better deal, but if you have one of the ALICE pouches you might like to try it out first.

I can't tell you if these pouches will fit the (anticipated) plastic Ruger magazines, but I should think they will, since the external measurements of the steel and polymer mags can't vary too much and still fit into the GSR's magazine well. Neither of these pouches are a super-tight fit--they fit just right.

I am a big non-fan of hanging a bunch of junk (weight) off your rifle, things like butt cuffs, etc. But I also can understand the utility and desirability of a "grab-and-go" model, where one has spare ammunition, magazines, and so on attached to the piece. One of the nice aspects of these MOLLIE-compatible pouches is that one can snap them onto a rifle sling so everything's in one package, for the fast grab, but that it just takes a second to snap them off and onto your belt where (my opinion) they are better carried. In general, I think that having stuff clipped to the sling is just about the worst place to add weight, given the sling's ability to swing back and forth. Another way to do it is to snap the pouches onto a little 550-cord loop, and then throw that loop over the barrel so it sits between the barrel and the scope. It comes off in a second, but you still have rifle, ammunition, magazines and pouches together.

But God knows I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, and maybe you or some of the other Forum members have a smarter way to do things.

Hope that helps!

--ML

« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 10:11:59 PM by ML » Logged
michaelb
JAFO

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 03:18:20 PM »

I need to snag some mags to mold a pile of leather pouches...

I won't be buying a RGSR but you'll do the world a favor if you use studs or snaps to secure the flap instead of velcro, just in case anyone ever needs to make a quietish mag change.

"The object of the practical rifleman is the achievement of first-round hits, on appropriate targets, at unknown ranges, from improvised firing positions, against the clock." - Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
uglydog03
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 03:38:44 PM »

Or perhaps just a moulded friction fit pouch . Maybe adjustable tension screws like my 1911 mag pouch from Galco
Roadie
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 07:39:02 PM »

Ml,

Thanks for the tech info on the pouches. I like the 10 round but the 5 round holding the mag in a different orientation would bother me. I would want to have the same motion from ether to load. Front finger on the leading edge of the mag to index and insert. The bottom flange on the mags should make it easy to grip for removal from the pouch.

I think you are correct with the "soon to come" plastic mags they have to have the same or very close outside dimensions.

I share you opinion on things hanging from a rifle in heavy cover my sling winds up in my pocket. A grab bag or as you suggest a cord slung over the rifle is simple and functional.

Oh ya it helped a lot. Good post.

Thank You,

Roadie

I don't think it is so much of a hero worship or quasi-religion thing as the closer you get to the actual specifications of the Scout Rifle the better the dang thing works in the field.
scoutman
Scout Master

View Dossier
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 07:40:14 AM »

Quote: "I am a big non-fan of hanging a bunch of junk (weight) off your rifle, things like butt cuffs, etc"

ML,

You didn't insert my favorite quote of yours: "loaded up like the Joad pick up heading for California". Lips sealed

"A really good trigger action will go further in making you a deadly field marksman than any other factor abour your weapon-"ART OF THE RIFLE"
ML
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 07:52:37 PM »

You didn't insert my favorite quote of yours: "loaded up like the Joad pick up heading for California".

Thanks for remembering that little line, and for keeping the thought alive. It still makes me smile a little too.

I don’t know that anyone outside of a Post-War American Lit. survey course even reads Steinbeck or The Grapes of Wrath any more. Maybe a few insomniacs watch the movie, but, you know, like what’s up with all the black-and-white stuff, dude? Perhaps a better image would have been Jed Clampett’s family heading for Beverly Hills, although even that might be a little long in the tooth now.

Still, one of the surest ways to sabotage your light-weight Scout rifle—or any general-purpose rifle for that matter, is to start playing Barbie-Dress-Up with it and pile on a bunch of accessories. Of course that’s just my opinion, and I’ve made just about every mistake you can, so you’d be wise to just ignore me. Individually, all those cuffs and lights and range-trajectory tapes and stuff look so attractive, but pretty soon you end up with something like what appears in this famous photo:

I’ve got no discipline when it comes to stuff like that, so I gotta draw a line in the sand and just stick to the basics (rifle, sight, sling). Otherwise, the next thing I know I’ll be ordering up a Picatinny-rail-compatible cupholder with a 64-ounce Big Gulp Bladder Buster hanging off the side of the stock in case I get thirsty while I’m shooting.

I know lots of people on this Forum like those butt-cuff cartridge holders, and I've got no bone to pick with any of them either. They're just not for me. If my tactical doctrine dictated the need to carry individual cartridges like that, I think I'd rather have a belt slide. But whatta I know?

That’s also why I think, for me, it makes more sense to go walking with the Ruger GSR’s five-shot magazine in the rifle and with the ten-rounder(s) on my belt. The difference between a loaded five-round mag and a loaded ten-rounder is almost half a pound (0.454 to be exact). If someone gets a 20-round M1A/M14 magazine to fit into the Ruger they’ll be adding about 1.1 pounds to the rifle (compared with the loaded five-round magazine). Not to bag on anyone who can make the conversion work—I’d like to have one myself!

Here’s another quote for you, this time from the great Raymond Chandler’s The Long Good-Bye: “There is no trap so deadly as the trap you set for yourself.”

I’ve found this particularly true when it comes to women, guns, and motorcycles. Ya start thinking that one accessory is a great thing (or one more wife, or one more bike), and pretty soon you’re looking at those cupholders again and another alimony check. It’s a slippery slope, made slicker by the lubrication of our own fantasies. Better the grab-and-go bag hanging on the same peg with the gun. Weight is always the enemy, but weight carried in the hands (or on your rifle) is a lot worse than that same weight on your belt on in a daypack.

It’s easy to gain weight, both in our personal lives and on our rifles. I had the cash for the new Ruger GSR sitting in the bank, but I made a deal with myself: I wouldn’t buy the rifle until I lost the (catalog claimed) seven pounds it weighed. That took a little while. If I add more weight to the rifle, then I have to lose more weight from my gut.

Right now I’m happy with both my waistline and the new Ruger.

Thanks for the kind words regarding the post. I have no idea if anyone actually reads any of this. It just takes a couple of jerks to put me or anyone else off from posting on a forum like this, but a thumbs-up now and then means a great deal to me.

--ML

phantom
Scout Master

View Dossier
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 09:10:22 AM »

It just takes a couple of jerks to put me or anyone else off from posting on a forum like this, but a thumbs-up now and then means a great deal to me.

--ML

Well then two thumbs up from me!

(Please stick around  Wink )

Thumb Toward Enemy.
praharin
Scout Master

View Dossier
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 01:03:41 PM »

They might cost a little more, but if you want purpose made AICS magazine pouches, Grand River Tactical makes some good ones

http://www.grtgear.com/

They also make a "sniper" vest that works quite well from what I hear. FWIW, the role of a sniper and that of a scout are not too different in terms of necessary gear.
OKMike
Boy Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 06:43:51 PM »

I wonder who will be first to make a Kydex pouch, that would be sweet with the rumored plastic mag, a little hard on the finish of a blued  mag.

Mike
munchie3409
Boy Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 09:56:36 AM »

I like those Specter Gear pouches...I use their single point slings and think the quality is decent.  I never looked into a 5rd single pouch, but if I get the GSR, I'll need/want them.

I have a 10rd double pouch that I bought from Triadtactical...looks like Triad offers it in a single pouch as well.
http://www.triadtactical.com/Triad-Tactical-Single-5-Round-AICS-AW-Magazine-Pouch.html
GeezerD
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 05:59:50 PM »

The Spec-ops buttstock mag pouch for the AR10 and FAL fits the GSR perfectly. It will accept the GSR 10rd mag with room to spare and can be removed in seconds to put on your belt or in a pack. It keeps a loaded 10rd mag with the rifle at all times and would be faster to load than from a cuff. --------------- GeezerD

Back off ya varmints ,or I'ma gonna blast ya
3knives
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 09:25:31 AM »

Leaning toward the Triads. I note in the description for the 2/10 rd pouch it says there's a flap to disable the Velcro if you prefer to just use the  buckle, that's a plus. Anyone know if that's true for the 5-rd as well? 

Also, does anyone know if the 2/10 is divided in any way? I hate mags rubbing against each other while I'm moving. Maybe that's what the cord locks are about, but that's more complexity, more motions...

I appreciate the concept of buttstock pouches, etc... but to my way of thinking all that's appropriate for the piece you're going to grab in a hurry when you don't know what's coming next, sort of the "minuteman" concept. The one piece you have ready to see what's going on outside... or what just came inside. For that, here in the 'burbs, a .308 is probably the single least appropriate piece I have.

By contrast, moving in the field I'd much rather have that weight on my belt, in a pack, or maybe shoulder pouch.

Charter Member, Burt Gummer fan club.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Want help with your SMF Forum or WebSite contact Small Networking Assistant!