ScoutRifle.org The Scout Rifle Community
Welcome, Guest. Please Fall In or register.
August 20, 2014, 07:20:24 PM

Login with Scout Name, credentials, and session length
Recon:     Advanced Recon
42123 Posts in 3889 Topics by 1980 Scouts
Latest Scout: bigdrumdaddy
* Home Help Recon Fall In Enlist with ScoutRifle.org
+  The Scout Rifle Community
|-+  Scout Discussions
| |-+  Scout Optics
| | |-+  Rimfire Scout Scope options/ideas...
0 Scouts and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Rimfire Scout Scope options/ideas...  (Read 5603 times)
triggertime
JAFO

Brass in the air

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 08:47:52 PM »

Still,

I have heard of the carbon fiber or graphite barrels,  haven't seen one or played with one.
I will agree that plastic stocks have a lot of advantages, and I have a few. But when it comes to frames, receivers or barrels, I draw
the line. My guns are made out of real steel.

That would give you the taper free barrel needed to accept the rail and scope without the bull barrel weight

bull barrel weight on a 22??  Cowboy up son............   Smiley

I just checked,  you may be right.  My bathroom scale says my heavy barreled 77/22 weighs 6.5 lbs, with sling, scope, and loaded  Wink
Maybe I better check the scale in the shop.

Hard to believe I have been lugging around that much iron at my age   Sad  Heck, my 1911 weighs less than half that !

Take your time, but be quick about it
MCKNBRD
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 08:32:47 AM »

Have you seen the 10/22 "bull" Barrels that are actually a thin barrel shrouded in a thick layer of carbon fiber or graphite?  I've been wondering if there was a way to mount a Weaver rail to one of those somehow via drill and tap/pin/epoxy.  That would give you the taper free barrel needed to accept the rail and scope without the bull barrel weight. 
Yeah, Volquartsen makes their THM 'Tension' barrels like that.  I just took one apart to see what it is, and refit the endcap with a threaded one.  Pretty neat, but very expensive.  Very, VERY accurate, though.  I've had one since around 2000, and its a tackdriver, with the right ammo.

Plus, VQ barrels come drilled and tapped for their 'cantilever scope mount'...gonna experiment with that as a platform some and see what I come up with.

One of the reasons I asked about the $80-100 range scope option is that I picked up one of those Chinese scopes, and its a POS.  Like looking through a screen door, and the eye relief is WAAAAY too long for a rimfire.  I'm going to chase down the idea and see if anyone bites, as I agree that a $300 scope on a rimfire is a bit out of whack.  But, I've spent $100 3 or 4 times to try to find one that works well...

Byrdman

Just a shooter with a bit of a Ruger problem...
10/22s, 22/45, Bearcat, LCP, LCR, SR1911, Mini-30, SR556E, OD SR9, and a .308 American.
Others in my stable...
Savage Scout, Browning Buckmark, Makarov, and a Maverick for HD.
Martin Liberty
Cub Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 11:33:47 AM »

Is anyone using the amega scout mount on their 10/22? Seems like a good one.

http://www.amegaranges.com/product_pages/ruger1022.html
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Want help with your SMF Forum or WebSite contact Small Networking Assistant!