ScoutRifle.org The Scout Rifle Community
Welcome, Guest. Please Fall In or register.
November 23, 2014, 02:30:22 AM

Login with Scout Name, credentials, and session length
Recon:     Advanced Recon
44979 Posts in 4090 Topics by 2089 Scouts
Latest Scout: Savagescout
* Home Help Recon Fall In Enlist with ScoutRifle.org
+  The Scout Rifle Community
|-+  Scout Discussions
| |-+  Custom Scouts
| | |-+  Remington 700 Scout Rifle
0 Scouts and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Remington 700 Scout Rifle  (Read 46797 times)
MikeFletcher
Scout Master

View Dossier
« on: July 12, 2009, 10:07:27 AM »

This is a Remington 700 Scout rifle, cut rifled pedestal barrel w/ integral mounts for Talley scope rings, Rifle Basix trigger, High Tech Specialties stock, custom ghost ring rear sight and NECG ramp front sight, 3 point Pachmayr flush mount swivels, Langlois Ching Sling, weighs 6 pounds 8.5 ounces without sling, 37 3/4" OAL, 19" Barrel, 12 3/4" LOP, absolutely the handiest, accurate rifle I own.

Bullshirt piles as high as you let it.

If you can't improve on silence shut the @#*& up.
aztimber
Boy Scout

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 10:18:26 AM »

Nice rifle Mike, can you tell me more about the custom ghost ring sight?
MikeFletcher
Scout Master

View Dossier
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 11:36:44 AM »

Not my idea, but it is slick and solid!

Rear sight is an AR rear sight that has been silver soldered to the receiver. one aperture has been opened up and the other aperture has been milled to a lever to raise the other aperture.

Lew Bonitz at Grizzly Custom Guns may have more to say about it.

www.grizzlycustom.com

Shooterer
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 06:29:42 AM »

Very nice.

Jim

Stand up for what is right, even if you stand alone.
Buck Conner
Scout

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 02:42:03 PM »

Well done, looks like a nice handling weapon. Good job.

NRA/NMLRA Life Member
Certified Instructor:
   Basic Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun
   Basic Muzzleloading Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun
praharin
Scout Master

View Dossier
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 12:19:25 AM »

I would prefer if that rear sight used a tool adjustable windage knob. Too easy to accidentally bump it off with that knob sticking out like that.
MikeFletcher
Scout Master

View Dossier
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 06:30:57 AM »

Nearly everything can be improved. However in practice the safety is more likely to be inadvertently disengaged before the windage knob be turned 1/4 turn or more, even so the deviation would not be that great.

About the only way the windage knob would move is if someone intentionally turned it.

If it was turned by me I deserve to miss! If it was turned by someone else, I am an idiot for putting my rifle down. Grin

praharin
Scout Master

View Dossier
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 08:19:08 AM »

I guess I can agree with that. But would you plan on making a wind call with the iron sights? I guess I just see it as a useless addition. Looks good though  Cool
Andy in NH
Scout Master

Just a (Ret.) Grunt

View Dossier
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 03:21:18 PM »

I would prefer if that rear sight used a tool adjustable windage knob. Too easy to accidentally bump it off with that knob sticking out like that.

I've never had or heard of the A2 style windage knob turning inadvertently.  In fact, when they are new, they can be really stiff. 

The scuttlebutt is that when they were designing the M16A2, the USMC rifle team wanted an easily adjustable windage knob so that they could quickly make dope changes on the KD range after looking at the range flags.  (They also gave us the extra LOP wich makes shooting more difficult while wearing body armor) 

I think it is better to learn to read wind from natural indicators and apply offset aiming (Kentucky windage) if necessary while in the field.  The same is true for range estimation and applying hold-over.

However, in case of the sight in question, I'd like to see an A1 style windage adjustment also.  More so from the idea that (IMHO) the knob detracts from the symmetry of the design.

Mike - good looking rifle none the less!

Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?

Any fool can be uncomfortable in the field.
Ray
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 09:40:50 AM »

Andy/praharin: Good point re the adjustment [intentional or unintentional] of the rear sight.  FWIW, I seem to recall Rock River Arms making a modified A-2 sight that allows you to lock in the adjustment once the rifle is sighted in.
peacewarrior
Cub Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 11:33:16 AM »

Beautiful rig bro, beautiful rig. 

What is your guys opinion on the these particular scope mounts in the pictures versus a Rem 700 rail from B-Square? I am going the poor man's route and I believe the B-Square is one of my only options.

parabarbarian
Scout Master

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 12:34:45 PM »

Who did the mounts for the scope?  I have a 700 VTR -- the one with triangular barrel -- I'm considering having modified for a forward mounted scope.

Armed Godless Heathen
-- Police everywhere cringe when they hear a someone say, "A mans house is his castle."
-- People may or may not get the government they deserve but they will get the worst government they will tolerate.
canuck4570
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 03:34:35 PM »

maybe I am mistaken
but the rear sight does it get in the way of the scope when shooting your rifle?
MikeFletcher
Scout Master

View Dossier
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 10:51:00 AM »

The scope bases on this rifle are integral with the barrel; they are substantially more stable than mounts that are screwed to the barrel.

The scout scope and the iron sights are both zeroed at 200 yards. I have a spare scout scope with Talley rings that is pre zeroed.

The ghost ring rear sight is a modified A2, the 0-2 aperture is machined away leaving a lever to rotate the long range aperture upright, the lever is not noticeable when looking through the scope. The long range aperture is opened up to a ghost ring. When the ghost ring is in the upright position it is visible and blocks the lower 1/3 of the scope reticule, not a shot stopper, just slightly distracting, however it is not likely to move to the upright position on its own.

The iron sights are not co-witnessed with the scope and I don't see the need for that on this type of rifle, the scope is the primary sighting device, if the scope goes TU it comes off easily. It the cross hairs fail, centering a target in the scope is adequate until the scope can be removed.

The iron sights on this rifle are up to the capabilities of the rifle and cartridge. They are entirely suitable sighting equipment.

canuck4570
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 01:38:53 PM »

thanks Mike
canuck
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Want help with your SMF Forum or WebSite contact Small Networking Assistant!