ScoutRifle.org The Scout Rifle Community
Welcome, Guest. Please Fall In or register.
October 25, 2014, 12:38:06 PM

Login with Scout Name, credentials, and session length
Recon:     Advanced Recon
44069 Posts in 4013 Topics by 2041 Scouts
Latest Scout: Kaneya
* Home Help Recon Fall In Enlist with ScoutRifle.org
+  The Scout Rifle Community
|-+  Scout Discussions
| |-+  PScouts and more
| | |-+  Mini-14 P-Scout
0 Scouts and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mini-14 P-Scout  (Read 6553 times)
MikeFletcher
Scout Master

View Dossier
« on: July 12, 2009, 09:55:51 AM »

2006 production Ruger Mini-14, Clark Custom Guns trigger job, Ultimak Scout Rail w/ Leupold Scout Scope in Leupold Rings, LOP 12 3/4", OAL 36 3/4", weight empty 7 pounds 6 ounces.

This rifle has had 100 rounds of mixed factory ammo through it without malfunction. Accuracy wise it seems to like heavier bullets.

I have a dozen new Ruger magazines and 1000 rounds of Black Hills 77gr ammo I intend to put through this rifle checking zero before and after. I have to find out for myself if Mini-14's are inaccurate, unreliable or just the antichrist incarnate! Grin

« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 10:37:22 AM by MikeFletcher » Logged

Bullshirt piles as high as you let it.

If you can't improve on silence shut the @#*& up.
triggertime
JAFO

Brass in the air

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 12:21:41 AM »

Please let us know what you find out.    Actually they are a P.O.S. 

Give it to me,  I will fix it.   Smiley

Take your time, but be quick about it
MCKNBRD
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 06:15:54 AM »

I've got a Mini-30 cradled in a Hogue stock that I want to do that with...heck, I've even got the Ultimak rail...just haven't gotten the optic for it yet.

Planning on working the trigger myself and seeing if I can build a flash suppressor/front sight combo to mate up with a scavenged M1 Carbine rear sight.  I've got a couple of other ideas, too...but time and money are quite limiting right now...

Nice piece; keep us posted!

Byrdman

Just a shooter with a bit of a Ruger problem...
10/22s, 22/45, Bearcat, LCP, LCR, SR1911, Mini-30, SR556E, OD SR9, and a .308 American.
Others in my stable...
Savage Scout, Browning Buckmark, Makarov, and a Maverick for HD.
MikeFletcher
Scout Master

View Dossier
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 06:22:44 AM »

I put another 90 rounds of Winchester .223 55 gr ammo through the mini 14 Saturday. The goups seem to be rounding out and the rifle seems to be wearing in. The only issue was with a recoil buffer installed the Ram-Line polycarbonate magazine will not trip the bolt hold open on an empty magazine.

This Saturday, I will clean the riffle and rezero with the black hills ammo and begin the 1000 round durability test with only Ruger magazines.

MCKNBRD
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 05:20:22 PM »

Recoil buffer problem is easily solved...just take a razor to it, and cut about 1/3 of the material off.

Its a little thick, and they're known to cause problems with BHO.

Byrdman

Just a shooter with a bit of a Ruger problem...
10/22s, 22/45, Bearcat, LCP, LCR, SR1911, Mini-30, SR556E, OD SR9, and a .308 American.
Others in my stable...
Savage Scout, Browning Buckmark, Makarov, and a Maverick for HD.
Shooterer
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 08:04:45 AM »

What is a "P-Scout"? what does the P stand for?

jim

Stand up for what is right, even if you stand alone.
triggertime
JAFO

Brass in the air

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 08:52:59 AM »

Pseu-do  (Scout)

–adjective
1.    not actually but having the appearance of; pretended; false or spurious; sham.
2.    almost, approaching, or trying to be.
Origin:
1940–45; independent use of pseudo-

Take your time, but be quick about it
Buck Conner
Scout

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 09:03:32 AM »

What is a "P-Scout"? what does the P stand for?

jim

Per our Ruger Wholesaler the "P" stands for "peep sight" on Mini's.  Roll Eyes  Huh  Shocked

NRA/NMLRA Life Member
Certified Instructor:
   Basic Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun
   Basic Muzzleloading Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun
Mr MIJI
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 04:58:36 PM »

My wife has an early Mini-14 with an identical mount to the original post and a Leupold.  It has a Butler Creek stock.  I built it so she'd give me back the Frontier Rifle .308 that she'd claimed.

It's the third Mini-14 I've purchased.  I sold the first two as I could almost throw a rock more accurately.  This one shoots better than I can.
Stillhunter
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 02:11:01 PM »

Glad you posted that.  I'm trying to trade for one of the newer series right now in stainless/wood. 

Do you think the Ultimak increased the rifle's accuracy?   
What's your opinion on the sights on the "new" Mini's?  (2006 production is a newer series right?)  The rear sight on the old ranch sure looks fragile 

"You have to remember the country was still half wild then... It was Daddy's Winchester that brought perfect manners out of every single man who rode up to the house" - My Grandaddy
MolonLabe416
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 03:16:36 PM »

The current generation Mini-14 is a significant improvement across the board from the previous models. 

I doubt the Ultimak will increase accuracy, but the Scout configuration with one of our own moderator Andy L's Ching Slings is a very good setup. 

Semper Paratus,

Steve
parabarbarian
Scout Master

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 04:06:38 PM »

I have almost exactly that rifle.  Only significant difference is I have the Amega Ranges mount instead of Ultimak.  It's a 580 series rifle which is a whole lot better accuracy-wise than the earlier models.

Armed Godless Heathen
-- Police everywhere cringe when they hear a someone say, "A mans house is his castle."
-- People may or may not get the government they deserve but they will get the worst government they will tolerate.
MikeFletcher
Scout Master

View Dossier
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 09:22:56 AM »

2006 production Ruger Mini-14, Clark Custom Guns trigger job, Ultimak Scout Rail w/ Leupold Scout Scope in Leupold Rings, LOP 12 3/4", OAL 36 3/4", weight empty 7 pounds 6 ounces.

This rifle has had 100 rounds of mixed factory ammo through it without malfunction. Accuracy wise it seems to like heavier bullets.

I have a dozen new Ruger magazines and 1000 rounds of Black Hills 77gr ammo I intend to put through this rifle checking zero before and after. I have to find out for myself if Mini-14's are inaccurate, unreliable or just the antichrist incarnate! Grin

I put another 200 rounds through this rifle yesterday. 50 of each; Federal American Eagle 55 gr, Winchester White box 55 gr, Federal Gold match 69 gr, and Black Hills 75 gr moly coated.
The bad news is it really, really likes the Fedreal Gold Match ammo! The only issue is the bolt fails to lock back on an empty magazine with a Buffer Technology recoil buffer in place, not really a major concern. All of the Ruger magazines feed flawlessly.
Federal Gold Match = quarter size group.
Black Hills 75 gr Moly 2.5" group
Federal American Eagle  3 -4" group
Winchester 4"+ group.

mike68
Boy Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 05:11:35 PM »

Nice looking setup!

At what distance were you getting those groups?  I looked through the the posts and noticed that you didn't mention this.

Thanks
MikeFletcher
Scout Master

View Dossier
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 08:22:46 PM »

Nice looking setup!

At what distance were you getting those groups?  I looked through the the posts and noticed that you didn't mention this.

Thanks

At 25 yards:

Federal Gold Match 69 gr = dime size group.
Black Hills 75 gr Moly = quarter size group
Federal American Eagle  55 gr = quarter size group
Winchester 55 gr = 2"+ group.

At 100 yards:
Federal Gold Match 69 gr = quarter size group.
Black Hills 75 gr Moly = 2.5" group
Federal American Eagle 55 gr = 3 -4" group
Winchester 55gr = 4"+ group.

Not enough data yet, just one session. I will go out again this  weekend with more precise measuring tools than pocket change. Smiley

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Want help with your SMF Forum or WebSite contact Small Networking Assistant!