ScoutRifle.org The Scout Rifle Community
Welcome, Guest. Please Fall In or register.
July 31, 2014, 08:43:01 PM

Login with Scout Name, credentials, and session length
Recon:     Advanced Recon
Email me for forum approval: andy@shottist.com
41629 Posts in 3851 Topics by 1967 Scouts
Latest Scout: War Eagle
* Home Help Recon Fall In Enlist with ScoutRifle.org
+  The Scout Rifle Community
|-+  Scout Discussions
| |-+  PScouts and more
| | |-+  Ruger American Rifle (Pic of one piece mount added)
0 Scouts and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Ruger American Rifle (Pic of one piece mount added)  (Read 3146 times)
Coalsmoke
Scout Master

View Dossier
« on: September 20, 2013, 05:29:37 PM »

I traded into a Ruger American in 308 this week.  It's black and plastic and has no sights.  Not my usual taste in rifles, but I think it has potential.  Has anyone played with one yet?  I can't find any accessories online.  Is there a one piece base that will fit?  It will take a scope about 2 feet long to hit both the bases it comes with.

I will be looking to chop the barrel and put a front sight on, so all input is welcome.  I've looked at the NECG front sights, but that's a little more than I'm willing to spend and possibly destroy.

I plan to put a scope on it and shoot it some before any mods.  I will post updates, but it's probably going to be a long term project.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 06:23:06 PM by Coalsmoke » Logged

Practice makes perfect.
Be careful what you practice.
michaelb
JAFO

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 10:33:21 PM »

I traded into a Ruger American in 308 this week.  It's black and plastic and has no sights.  Not my usual taste in rifles, but I think it has potential.  Has anyone played with one yet?  

I suspect you are the first of us to dive in.

I can't find any accessories online.  

What accessories would you expect to find made for an entry level rifle, even a good one, which the Ruger has every chance to be.  Are there any aftermarket gewgaws for the Remington 770...just saying.  More to the point, what do you need, other than a couple spare magazines?

Is there a one piece base that will fit?  It will take a scope about 2 feet long to hit both the bases it comes with.

Are you sure a Leupold FX-II 4x33mm won't bridge the gap between the two piece bases?  Truth be told, it's as fine a scope as most mortal men deserve and has helped put many deer (a several African critters) to sleep for me over the years...

I will be looking to chop the barrel and put a front sight on, so all input is welcome.  

Nothing shorter than 18 inches if you please, kind and good sir.  

I've looked at the NECG front sights, but that's a little more than I'm willing to spend and possibly destroy.

Have you any thoughts about a proper rear sight?  If not, why bother with a front sight?  A spare Redfield or Leupold Rifleman pre-zero'd in its own rings will cost you less than having a 'smith attach a proper set of irons.  

I plan to put a scope on it and shoot it some before any mods.  I will post updates, but it's probably going to be a long term project.

Git yosef a Langlois Rhodesian and retire with haste to the range.  We await detail details with rapt attentiveness...   Wink

"The object of the practical rifleman is the achievement of first-round hits, on appropriate targets, at unknown ranges, from improvised firing positions, against the clock." - Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
Whelenshooter
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 11:39:46 PM »

I'd use a steel Weaver base, and buy a NECG peep sight that fits Weaver scope bases.  For the front, just have your gunsmith install a steel sight ramp for a Remington 700.  It will likely fit, and you have the advantages of steel instead of an aluminum Williams sight ramp.  They are relatively inexpensive too.  With that sight combo, use a plastic XS "try" sight to figure out what height front sight you need, then install the right height XS steel BLADE front sight.  (Elmer Keith taught the shooting world seventy years ago that you can't hold consistent elevation in changing light with a bead front sight, but for some reason the firearms accessory manufacturers keep trying to sell us bead front sights.  There are a few companies out there that "get it", but damn few.  I believe many companies think iron sights are for looks and not for using.)  If you are going to use your scope in the traditional location instead of mounting a forward mounted scope, then after you get your rifle sighted in with the iron sights, put loc-tite on one of the the rear sight mounting screws, then take the sight on and off with the screw on the other side.  You can then mount your scope with Warne QR rings for Weaver bases.  You will need to find some secure place to carry your NECG rear peep so you can pop the scope off then mount your peep sight and be ready to go.

Whelenshooter

Shoot low Sheriff, they're ridin' Shetlands!
george1
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 02:43:09 AM »

Whelanshooter,
The NECG peep for weaver bases is absolutely massive.
I bought one and it's not for us. Way too big, too high and too heavy.
I would not recommend it to anyone. The ones they make for the ruger and the CZ, look better but this ones a dud.
If l get a chance l'll post a pic.
George
george1
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 03:44:40 AM »

A couple of quick pics. Trust me its worse in real life as the pic shows it just sitting on the rear reciever bridge. Once its on a weaver mount it goes up even higher.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 04:04:58 AM by george1 » Logged
wjkuleck
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 06:35:53 AM »

I traded into a Ruger American in 308 this week.  It's black and plastic and has no sights.  Not my usual taste in rifles, but I think it has potential.  Has anyone played with one yet?  

I suspect you are the first of us to dive in.

I've had one since the introduction, but with the book I'm writing I've gone no further than scoping it.  It's a long action in .30-'06.

Regards,

Walt

Author,
The NEW AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide,
The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide, The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide,
The M14
and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
and The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide[/I]
michaelb
JAFO

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 07:04:19 AM »

I've had one since the introduction, but with the book I'm writing I've gone no further than scoping it.  It's a long action in .30-'06.

So many guns, so little range time...  Wink

How is the book coming, Walt?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 07:05:56 AM by michaelb » Logged

"The object of the practical rifleman is the achievement of first-round hits, on appropriate targets, at unknown ranges, from improvised firing positions, against the clock." - Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
Coalsmoke
Scout Master

View Dossier
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 01:05:14 PM »

The main accessory that I'd love to find right now is a one piece steel base.  I may try to get a blank and drill holes to match the receiver.  It would be nice to cantilever out over the barrel enough to move a scope (slightly) forward and mount an aperture sight on the back of the rail.  Then my only problem would be a front sight.

I did find a one piece base from EGW for $70, but hope to find a cheaper and longer one.

Practice makes perfect.
jandbj
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 02:31:49 PM »

The main accessory that I'd love to find right now is a one piece steel base.  I may try to get a blank and drill holes to match the receiver.  It would be nice to cantilever out over the barrel enough to move a scope (slightly) forward and mount an aperture sight on the back of the rail.  Then my only problem would be a front sight.

I did find a one piece base from EGW for $70, but hope to find a cheaper and longer one.

I'd go with the xs weaver low backup instead of the necg.  Hopefully there's enough room behind your rear base for it.
michaelb
JAFO

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 02:50:51 PM »

Might be cheaper to scout scope it right away using the Wild West Guns four screw mount...

wjkuleck
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 06:24:45 PM »

I've had one since the introduction, but with the book I'm writing I've gone no further than scoping it.  It's a long action in .30-'06.

So many guns, so little range time...  Wink

How is the book coming, Walt?

I've about 1 3/4 chapters (of 10) from completion.  Gong shooting in the AM with my Class III dealer.  Going to do a back-to-back with a standard M4 and a Adams Arms conversion.  Gonna take an AKM just for giggles.  Hope to get some full-auto shots, maybe one will be usable in the book.

Very best regards,

Walt
PS You have no idea how many guns Wink.  I should put on my bucket list shooting each of them at least once!

Author,
The NEW AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide,
The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide, The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide,
The M14
and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
and The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide[/I]
redbaron
Boy Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 10:20:42 AM »

Whelanshooter,
The NECG peep for weaver bases is absolutely massive.
I bought one and it's not for us. Way too big, too high and too heavy.
I would not recommend it to anyone. The ones they make for the ruger and the CZ, look better but this ones a dud.
If l get a chance l'll post a pic.
George

I second this. I had one on my scout build for a hot minute and it was huge. So big it actually made using the scope difficult. I went with one of these instead. You only need one standard size scope mount hole drilled and threaded, sight it and loctite it and you're golden
Coalsmoke
Scout Master

View Dossier
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 09:32:17 AM »

I finally got out and shot my RAR last week.  Got it sighted in and was impressed with the accuracy.  I used some Hornady White-tail 150 gr ammo (cheapest I could find locally). 

I mounted an old shotgun scope with about 8" of eye relief and it works well.  A seller on ebay sells 1piece bases for the rifle and I got him to make me one with about 3 extra inches on the front end.  It lets me cantilever over the barrel for extra eye relief.  It's not enough to get in front of the receiver, but you can't top load the RAR so it shouldn't matter.

I still plan to lop the barrel at 18" and add some sights, but I baited up some piggies yesterday so it may have to wait.

One of these days I'll figure out how to load pics.   

Practice makes perfect.
michaelb
JAFO

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 09:52:59 AM »

A seller on ebay sells 1piece bases for the rifle and I got him to make me one with about 3 extra inches on the front end.  It lets me cantilever over the barrel for extra eye relief.

Sounds like a good fella to know. Does he use Weaver rail or Pic-rasp?  Steel or aluminum?  Will he make a longer rail?

Whelenshooter
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 04:48:29 AM »

A couple of quick pics. Trust me its worse in real life as the pic shows it just sitting on the rear reciever bridge. Once its on a weaver mount it goes up even higher.

I was trying to figure out why your sight was so much bigger than mine.  I thought maybe they had changed them or something. I finally had the brains to go to look at what I have and discovered it is an XS weaver base back-up sight.  Pardon my dumbass attack!  That NECG one IS gigantic!

Whelenshooter

Shoot low Sheriff, they're ridin' Shetlands!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Want help with your SMF Forum or WebSite contact Small Networking Assistant!