ScoutRifle.org The Scout Rifle Community
Welcome, Guest. Please Fall In or register.
November 27, 2014, 04:26:59 AM

Login with Scout Name, credentials, and session length
Recon:     Advanced Recon
45115 Posts in 4094 Topics by 2090 Scouts
Latest Scout: Pa Jaeger
* Home Help Recon Fall In Enlist with ScoutRifle.org
+  The Scout Rifle Community
|-+  Scout Discussions
| |-+  PScouts and more
| | |-+  M1 Carbine
0 Scouts and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: M1 Carbine  (Read 3424 times)
LACamper
Scout Master

View Dossier
« on: November 21, 2012, 06:59:55 PM »

Any thoughts on the M1 Carbine?

I may have a chance to trade a short barreled 870 for a Universal in the next few days. I've always wanted one to play with plus it would make a nice truck gun. What about as a pseudo scout though?  Its not a .308 or even a .30/30 but it would certainly make weight!

Ron Myers
JAFO

My Scouts

View Dossier
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 07:05:05 PM »

Any thoughts on the M1 Carbine?

I may have a chance to trade a short barreled 870 for a Universal in the next few days. I've always wanted one to play with plus it would make a nice truck gun. What about as a pseudo scout though?  Its not a .308 or even a .30/30 but it would certainly make weight!

I've always thought these rifles were very cool but have read and heard stories the cartridge doesn't have enough punch.

Makarov
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 07:16:53 PM »

The army vets from WW2 loved the things the Vets from Korea hated them, difference was the Koreans wore so much clothing that the carbine didn't have the umph to get through, or so I have been told.  it is a hot pistol round and if used as such at reasonable distances it is a great round.  I keep one for home defence, it wont go through walls.  If I were you I would make the trade, put some hollow point ammo in it and have fun.

Eric

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.

Marvin Simkin
wjkuleck
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 08:00:30 PM »

Please get a GI Carbine, not a commercial copy such as the Universal or Plainfield or even Kahr.

Regards,

Walt

Author,
The NEW AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide,
The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide, The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide,
The M14
and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
and The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide[/I]
jeffb1911
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 08:54:27 PM »

To a point i'll agree with wjkuleck.  Stay away from the Universal design.  They LOOK like m1 carbines, but none of the parts interchange except maybe mags.  Commercially, the Plainfield design was just like GI, and the current Kahr's are made from Israeli parts.  But for what it is-A REPLACEMENT FOR A PISTOL!-it is a decent design.  The originals are getting rather pricy when you find them in good original condition.  Remember, these were our first foray into what has now become the PDW (personal defense weapon) concept.   As such it was designed to be easy to use by someone with much less training than a full power rifle, just like the P90 FN design.  The round penetrates better than a subgun, but does not have as much knockdown as 45 rounds.  But you can at least hit much farther out with it than you can with a Thompson.  And it weighs less than a Thompson making it easy to carry.
LeMat
JAFO

Toujours Pret!

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 09:16:33 PM »

Buddy of mine has a   Khar and I gotta say it is freakin' nice.  The original GI ones I've come  have left a lot to be desired.  Maybe I just haven't been lucky enough to find a nice one.

" Learn to shoot better than your equipment, then make it better." -triggertime
SASS #43746
R.O. I/II
NRA Life Member
LACamper
Scout Master

View Dossier
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 09:45:16 PM »

I'd love to find a WWII carbine (really want one made in 6/46 to match my enfield and by chance a Moison M44) but they are very expensive now. I want a truck gun, a gun I'm not afraid to shoot or scratch. I have about $400 in the shotgun (spare barrel, mag extension, shell carrier, etc plus I refinished the stocks so time and effort) so it seems like a decent deal for both of us.

With decent ammo its a bit better than .357 from what I can recall. Certainly better than the keltec 9mm I was planning on buying for the truck.

Whelenshooter
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 10:56:57 PM »

I shot a few woodchucks with the .30 carbine using soft point and hollow point ammo.  I wasn't expecting much, but was quite impressed at the results!  That may have been because I wasn't expecting much, however.

Whelenshooter

Shoot low Sheriff, they're ridin' Shetlands!
Wapiti
JAFO

1st Special Service Force 1942–44 [Was not a mem.]

View Dossier
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 06:27:09 AM »

If I can find the fortitude I will relate my experience with that piece; 1963, Lackland Air Force Base Texas. Tongue That experience soured me on it.
But, need I say more? Roll Eyes
Dave

"Eez gon! Eez not safe!",
As said by a Russian translator. The Art of the Rifle: Special Color Edition; Jeff Cooper, p. 23.

NRA Lifetime Member
geminijim
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 12:24:06 PM »

I would not trade an 870 for a Universal M1 carbine.  Had one once before I knew better but then traded it, to a guy that just had to have it, for a MKII Gov't Target Model.  That was a red letter day for me!
Whelenshooter
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 07:52:10 PM »

Hey Walt,
What is wrong with the Kahr Carbine?  I've looked at a couple in stores and they seem like they are VERY nicely made.

Whelenshooter

wjkuleck
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 11:25:22 AM »

While the M1 Carbine is cute, I wouldn't think it the best choice for a knockabout gun.  A Mini-14 (used) would be a lot cheaper and more effective

Regards,

Walt

Author,
The M14
michaelb
JAFO

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 12:44:59 PM »

While the M1 Carbine is cute, I wouldn't think it the best choice for a knockabout gun.  A Mini-14 (used) would be a lot cheaper and more effective

+1

Unless you really don't care what the neighbors think, then a AK74 or AKM would be even more robust and cheaper to feed.  Of course the SKS remains the unsung hero of handy little carbines with low cost of ownership and operation.

"The object of the practical rifleman is the achievement of first-round hits, on appropriate targets, at unknown ranges, from improvised firing positions, against the clock." - Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
wjkuleck
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 01:55:12 PM »

+1

Unless you really don't care what the neighbors think, then a AK74 or AKM would be even more robust and cheaper to feed.  Of course the SKS remains the unsung hero of handy little carbines with low cost of ownership and operation.

I can't disagree.  In fact, I once half-seriously suggested to our local CLEO that SKS carbines would be an excellent squad car rifle.  I felt that woudn't go over well with the citizens.

Regards,

Walt

Author,
The M14
Whelenshooter
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 04:46:21 PM »

The sheep ranchers in this part of Idaho used to equip their backcountry Basque sheep herders with 94 Winchesters as saddle guns to deal with coyotes and black bears.  The problem was the first time the brush snagged the rifle out of the saddle boot and the rifle hit the ground the stock would break at the wrist.  In the 1980s when the SKS became common, most of the ranchers started switching out the 94 Winchesters with SKSes.  When the SKS gets snagged out of the saddle boot and hits the ground, you dust it off and shove it back in the saddle boot.  It might have a couple more scratches on it, but they were functionally unharmed.

Whelenshooter

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Want help with your SMF Forum or WebSite contact Small Networking Assistant!