ScoutRifle.org The Scout Rifle Community
Welcome, Guest. Please Fall In or register.
July 25, 2014, 02:03:08 AM

Login with Scout Name, credentials, and session length
Recon:     Advanced Recon
Email me for forum approval: andy@shottist.com
41428 Posts in 3832 Topics by 1963 Scouts
Latest Scout: Snarky357
* Home Help Recon Fall In Enlist with ScoutRifle.org
+  The Scout Rifle Community
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Savage Axis, it's not that bad... in fact it rocks!
0 Scouts and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Savage Axis, it's not that bad... in fact it rocks!  (Read 2377 times)
Ron Myers
JAFO

My Scouts

View Dossier
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 07:13:13 AM »

Ron,
Was thinking about your previous comment about the twist when I looked that up as well.  Wow you worked quickly on that.  Let us know how it works out for you.  Local Academy has the Axis at 280.00 as a normal price.  I have yet had the time to go look.

Have fun
Houston

Will do Houston.

Hope to have the rifle by early next week!
Andy
Administrator
JAFO

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 06:44:10 AM »

A nice group as shot by Young Jedi:

100 yards, Federal Ammo from Walmart...

Sale on Rhodesian Scout Rifle Slings, http://www.andysleather.com !
Andy Langlois
Custom Rifle Slings, Holsters and more
http://andysleather.com/
The "Ching Sling" maker!
Call me if you need one, 603-630-4072
Please email me for fastest response: andy@shottist.com
Ron Myers
JAFO

My Scouts

View Dossier
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2012, 10:29:47 AM »

My new Savage Axis .223 came in last week and I took it out to the range today.

Very nice!  Trigger is too heavy but not bad.

Painted it camouflage for shooting Texas coyotes, raccoons, and other varmints:

Then I took it to the range this morning and after sighting in with the 4 power fixed scope and using  4 69 GR Sierra Match Kings loaded with my brand new Lee Hand loader, here is the result from 50 yards:

I'm extremely pleased!  One half inch 4 shot group (the upper left hole is two shots trough the same hole!) at 50 yards!

michaelb
JAFO

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2012, 11:01:52 AM »

Painted it camouflage for shooting Texas coyotes, raccoons, and other varmints:

Nice camo.  Be careful where you set it down or you might not be able to find it.   Wink  Glad to see it's shooting nicely for you.

"The object of the practical rifleman is the achievement of first-round hits, on appropriate targets, at unknown ranges, from improvised firing positions, against the clock." - Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
Hamfish
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2012, 06:09:03 PM »

I have one of the earlier versions (savage edge) in .223
Yes the trigger on these rifles comes heavy BUT there is a very simple solution.

Take off the stock, disassemble the trigger group and replace the spring that pushes the trigger back into place (at the rear of the trigger)
I got a spring out of a ballpoint pen and cut it roughly in half, then bent the top coil together and up to fit into the hole (might make more sense when you have taken it apart) you can trim more turns off until you get your trigger pull right.

Sounds a bit dodgy but I have drop tested mine and no problems. If you don't like it or don't trust it you can always put the original spring back in! (keep it somewhere safe)

As always use proper trigger discipline and safe firearm handling
Ron Myers
JAFO

My Scouts

View Dossier
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2012, 07:22:49 PM »

Thanks Hamfish, I may try that.

I had the rifle out last night working the trigger trying to learn the pull better.  Didn't have the time to do so last Thursday due to time limitations (the wife had explicit instructions to be home by a certain time for Thanksgiving Dinner!)

Every trigger is different and takes me a while to find the pull, I think I found it last night with this one.  Will go out this week to test again.

This .223 is perfect for raccoons and they are eating much of the corn we have out for deer and hogs.  They may eat a little lead and copper come Friday, my hunting buddy wants a Davy Crockett coon skin hat! Grin
Makarov
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2012, 07:29:01 PM »

This .223 is perfect for raccoons and they are eating much of the corn we have out for deer and hogs.  They may eat a little lead and copper come Friday, my hunting buddy wants a Davy Crockett coon skin hat! Grin

Don't forget the tail tied to the radio antenna of your car.

Eric

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.

Marvin Simkin
Ron Myers
JAFO

My Scouts

View Dossier
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2012, 06:11:51 PM »

Took the Axis out again today for some quick practice.

Very pleased so far!  Shot a 4 round group to make sure it kept zero then about 25 shots from 50 yards offhand with the fixed 4 power scope. Looks like a shooter!

These Savages aren't solid like the Rugers but they do shoot straight.
Hamfish
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2012, 04:09:17 AM »

...Looks like a shooter!... they do shoot straight.

Yes, they certainly have a reputation for it as well! My friend clover'd milsurp ammo with mine. Unfortunatly I am not able to replicate his results! My conclusion is this rifle is more accurate than I, and you cannot complain about paying 800NZ$ for that with glass! (appx. 660usd - I guess importing is expensive) In comparison, my Scout was nearly double that, and my (chinese)SKS about half that.
bct
Boy Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2012, 05:20:10 AM »

I purchased a savage hog hunter in 308 at the end of August and have been nothing but impressed with it.  I had looked at the Axis as well as Ruger American, and the hog hunter felt the best in hand.  I put a Redfield 2 - 7 on it, and have been nothing but pleased with my set up from the beginning.  In fact, took my first deer with it this past weekend. 

It would seem this is a good time to pick up an inexpensive rifle.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Want help with your SMF Forum or WebSite contact Small Networking Assistant!