ScoutRifle.org The Scout Rifle Community
Welcome, Guest. Please Fall In or register.
September 01, 2014, 09:13:39 PM

Login with Scout Name, credentials, and session length
Recon:     Advanced Recon
Need a Scout Rifle Sling? www.andysleather.com
42380 Posts in 3908 Topics by 1988 Scouts
Latest Scout: northumbrian
* Home Help Recon Fall In Enlist with ScoutRifle.org
+  The Scout Rifle Community
|-+  Jeff Cooper, Thumper, Baby, more.....
| |-+  Heavy and Medium Bore Rifles
| | |-+  Savage Alaskan Brush hunter in 375 Ruger
0 Scouts and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Savage Alaskan Brush hunter in 375 Ruger  (Read 3234 times)
Eric-WD
« on: October 19, 2012, 07:27:23 AM »

For those of you looking for a short, fast, big scout, this one looks interestiing.

Eric

wjkuleck
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 09:16:03 AM »

For those of you looking for a short, fast, big scout, this one looks interestiing.

Eric

Or...the Ruger Alaskan:

...also in .416 Ruger.

Regards,

Walt

Author,
The NEW AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide,
The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide, The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide,
The M14
and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
and The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide[/I]
Whelenshooter
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 12:05:00 PM »

If I was going to buy a new a rifle for dealing with big critters that could kill me, my choice would be the Ruger Alaskan.  I would change the stock, however.  The Hogue overmolded stocks on the Ruger Alaskan just don't fit me.  My preference would be a laminated stock with the length of pull, including a really good recoil pad, shortened to no more than 13 inches.  I used to have a stainless Model 70 in .375 H&H, but I had to sell it.  The barrel on it was fairly heavy and 24 inches long.  It had too much weight forward for me to use with my bum left elbow.  I shot a friends Ruger Alaskan and its shorter barrel worked fine for me.  Another thing is that, out of the box, the Ruger Alaskan feeds far more reliably.  The problem with the post-94 Model 70 is although they went back to the pre-64 Mauser style extractor and solid ejector, they didn't go back to the pre-64 magazine.  The pre-64 magazines were taylored to the cartridge.  In the post-64 guns (including the post-94 Model 70s) they took the "one size fits nothing" approach.   With a tapered cartridge like the .375 H&H in the unaltered post-64 magazines, the last cartridge in the magazine box wants to roll out from under the feed rail when you work the bolt hard after firing the second to the last round.  It is then a crap shoot if that round is going to end up in a position to tie up the gun, or feed into the action.  After dealing with over 100 U.S. Forest Service Model 70s in Alaska, I learned how to alter the magazine so it won't do that, but the unaltered guns could get you killed.  I tried to explain the problem to Winchester, but they refused to admit there is a problem because to do so would probably get them sued by the family of someone who got nailed by a big cirtter when the gun jammed.

I would really like to try a Blaser R8, but it is eight times as hard for me to come up with the $3,000 to $4,000 for an R8 than the about $1,000 for a Ruger Alaskan, and every time I try to come up with several guns I could sell to get an R8, I just can't do it.

Whelenshooter

Shoot low Sheriff, they're ridin' Shetlands!
ThomD
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 11:26:56 PM »

The Brush Gun doesn't seem to be a controlled feed gun, which given that some 375s in the past from Savage apparently have been, would seem odd.  Seems as though the savage, would be up there around Model 700 territory, or better, due to it's extractor, and a fair number of dangerous game guns, and war guns have been made on that chassis.  But ideally... not ideal.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Want help with your SMF Forum or WebSite contact Small Networking Assistant!