ScoutRifle.org The Scout Rifle Community
Welcome, Guest. Please Fall In or register.
September 02, 2014, 04:29:04 AM

Login with Scout Name, credentials, and session length
Recon:     Advanced Recon
Email me for forum approval: andy@shottist.com
42382 Posts in 3908 Topics by 1988 Scouts
Latest Scout: northumbrian
* Home Help Recon Fall In Enlist with ScoutRifle.org
+  The Scout Rifle Community
|-+  Scout Discussions
| |-+  Factory Scouts
| | |-+  My New Ruger GSR is Broken - And Ruger Can't Fix It
0 Scouts and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: My New Ruger GSR is Broken - And Ruger Can't Fix It  (Read 3508 times)
zenner22
Cub Scout

View Dossier
« on: June 24, 2012, 07:21:56 AM »

Picked up a new Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle from my local shop. I was happy with the price and that he actually had one in stock. When I got it home I noticed a problem with the bolt. When the bolt is in its rearward most position, unless slight downward pressure is applied, the bolt will not go forward. I spoke with a few guys more knowledgable about rifles than me (I'm much more of a handgun guy) and their opinions were it was probably a burr or something and would break in over time. Didn't sound promising, but I ran the bolt a hundred times or so while watching tv and it would still hitch in the rearward position unless downward pressure (even slight) was applied.

Called Ruger almost 4 weeks ago. They said the bolt should never catch on anything and something was wrong. They sent a UPS man to pick up my rifle at no charge. Couple days ago the folks at Ruger left a voicemail. They cannot fix the gun. However, they have a brand new one sitting there with my name on it and they were just waiting for the OK and the FFL info to ship it out to me.

So I am very happy with Ruger customer service. It does make me wonder what could have been so wrong with my rifle that they couldn't fix it. Any ideas? Either way I'm glad I sent it in and that Ruger is taking care of the problem in this manner.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 09:30:37 AM by zenner22 » Logged
Wapiti
JAFO

1st Special Service Force 1942–44 [Was not a mem.]

View Dossier
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 08:43:48 AM »

Your comment in the Subject heading had me worried. Shocked But I am glad to know it was just a teaser. I do not have a Ruger product, but would not hesitate to buy one. Smiley I hear comments  like yours, zenner22, a lot on this forum about Ruger.
And welcome to this forum! Wink
Dave

"Eez gon! Eez not safe!",
As said by a Russian translator. The Art of the Rifle: Special Color Edition; Jeff Cooper, p. 23.

NRA Lifetime Member
UKPeter
Scout Master

View Dossier
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 08:50:19 AM »

Full credit to Ruger for exchanging your rifle so quickly, but of course, that was the least they could have done. I have two Rugers a 22rimfire M77 and a M77RS in 243win, other than the triggers which were awful and now at the scrap metal merchants, for the money I think they are good rifles.

Peter

If a politician told me he was lying I wouldn't believe him.

Peter
LeMat
JAFO

Toujours Pret!

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 11:41:01 AM »

Glad to hear they're making things right.  Sure am curious to know what the deal was though.

" Learn to shoot better than your equipment, then make it better." -triggertime
SASS #43746
R.O. I/II
NRA Life Member
zenner22
Cub Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 06:44:06 PM »

Okay so I finally got my replacement from Ruger. I guess it took so long becuause I okayed it 4 days before the factory's routine shutdown for two weeks. Anyway it came in today and since this was the replacement with my name on it  didn't bother to check it out till I got home. Yep, you know where I'm going with this: this rifle has the same problem as the last one. This would have me question whether what I'm seeing is really a problem or not but they couldn't fix my last rifle and had to replace it...?

Ok, so, as I've stated I am not a rifle guy. I do not know if this is normal behaviour for a bolt action rifle. If it is I am not sure that I want to own it. However, can anyone respond to this question: From the rear most position, if you do not place even slight downward pressure on the bolt will it bind and not move? Or, to put the question another way, if you put any upward pressure on the bolt will it bind and not go forward? When I described this to Ruger the tech said the bolt should never bind no matter what position it is in. Yet this one does the same thing as my old one.

I'm going to try to get to the shop after work tomorrow. They had a couple more sitting on the shelf. I'm going to check them out and see if they are any differrent.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 07:35:10 PM by zenner22 » Logged
triggertime
JAFO

Brass in the air

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 07:30:23 PM »

That is weird.  I have to think the lug or extractor is hanging up somehow ?  Or something inside
the receiver is out of spec ?

And the new rifle does the same thing ?

Maybe Walt or Roadie could help you with their contacts at Ruger ?

Let us know if you look at the other rifles in stock, or what you find out

m

Take your time, but be quick about it
wjkuleck
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 07:58:18 PM »

I pulled out 680-00761 to check this out.  If you press upward firmly on the bolt handle with the bolt fully back, the bolt won't go forward.  However, unless you are firmly pressing upward, the bolt operates normally.  It appears that the hangup is with the bolt stop.  Disengaging the bolt stop alleviates the stoppage.

Please note that on this rifle one must really be pushing upward to have a problem.  Any normal bolt motion works fine.  With the magazine inserted, with or without a cartridge, the bolt runs fine even with upward pressure.  As I expected, a Ruger Hawkeye Ultra Lite doesn't bind.  Why?  The magazine follower.

Try running the rifle with the magazine in.  I suspect that the bolt is aligned and guided by the mag follower (fixed or RGSR detachable) so that the front doesn't dive and the bolt doesn't hang up.

Regards,

Walt

Author,
The NEW AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide,
The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide, The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide,
The M14
and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
and The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide[/I]
zenner22
Cub Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 08:18:34 PM »

Thanks for checking that out. I found on mine I was able to bind the bolt with both an empty mag and a loaded mag inserted. I don't feel that I'm doing anything particularly bizarre when I'm running the bolt, but perhaps I am? And I can run around it if I consciously put downward pressure on the bolt but the question is should I have to? It would also make me nervous if running the bolt in an emergency type of situation if it would freeze up on me because I forgot to put downward pressure on it.
zenner22
Cub Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 08:34:55 AM »

I called Ruger today and explained the problem is not fixed. The tech checked with a supervisor who told him the reason it can stick is becuase of the Hawkey M77 parts use the same finish and this can cause the problems I've been having. Bear with me I'm paraphrasing the explanation. I had him say it twice and I still didn't fully understand. But he said it was because of the same finish on certain parts. The supervisor said if they replaced my current one it could very well have the same problem. They offered to refund my money on the purchase of the rifle. I am going to take them up on it.

I'm assuming most people don't notice or they work around it if they experience the problem.

It's unfortunate I was really looking forward to this as my one bolt action rifle. My search will continue.
LeMat
JAFO

Toujours Pret!

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 03:03:17 PM »

This is bewildering me to the point of ridiculousness.

I simply can't duplicate your issue with my rifle.

And now with the explanation from Ruger - that confuses me even moreso.  Same finish?  As in the bolt being the same finish as the receiver?  But they're not.  Same finish on what parts?  The bolt on my Hawkeye was distinctly matte whereas that on my GSR is buffed/polished to a nice "gloss".

It certainly is unfortunate that you ran into this.  Sad

" Learn to shoot better than your equipment, then make it better." -triggertime
SASS #43746
R.O. I/II
NRA Life Member
triggertime
JAFO

Brass in the air

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 06:28:41 PM »

This doesn't make any sense to me either.  I don't have a GSR,  I do have a Hawkeye in 7.62x39 and a MKII in
308.  I can't duplicate your problem in either one.  Just on a whim,  I switched the bolts in the rifles,  and
they both functioned fine !  Of course they would not chamber a round,  but they worked in each receiver, with no binding at all.

Since you are sending the rifle back for a refund,  the Kimber Montana is a sweet rifle.   Wink

http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/model-84m/montana

Wishing you better luck in the future,

m

zenner22
Cub Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 07:00:03 PM »

While I am new here I am a regular on other popular firearm forums and I hate to look like the new guy comes in out of nowhere, complains and leaves. While I'm disappointed in the problems I've had with the rifle I am impressed with how Ruger handled the problem. Even if I am still confused as to their explanation! I like how they didn't just stick me with something I was unhappy with. Offering the refund is impressive, they didn't have to do that.

So no hard feelings about Ruger. And who knows, maybe I'll be back if I give the Savage version of the Scout a try...

triggertime
JAFO

Brass in the air

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 08:36:27 PM »

I'm going to try to get to the shop after work tomorrow. They had a couple more sitting on the shelf. I'm going to check them out and see if they are any differrent.

Did you do this ?

It's unfortunate I was really looking forward to this as my one bolt action rifle. My search will continue.
maybe I'll be back if I give the Savage version of the Scout a try...

If you are still looking for a scout rifle, I would look for a Ruger Frontier,  or a Steyer, whichever fits your budget. Or if you
have time,  wait for the Asgard Scout Rifle and take a look.

If you can live with a conventional scope, look for a controlled feed Winchester, or the Montana, or scouterize either one.
Or, (I hesitate to mention)  the Ruger Hawkey Compact or Compact Magnum.

I just wonder,  have you played with a Ruger M77MKII or Hawkeye rifle ? Or any other bolt action rifle ?  I just wonder if it
is something you are doing working the bolt ?  Just trying to elimate all possiblilities.

If you want / need a DBM your only choices will be the Steyer or Savage.

Regards,
M

Wapiti
JAFO

1st Special Service Force 1942–44 [Was not a mem.]

View Dossier
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 04:25:54 AM »

What zenner22 needs is someone with a working Ruger Scout Rifle. Smiley A side by side comparison. Have him work that bolt. Only then will he (and we) know for sure. It is simply logistics. Zenner22, what about that shop that had the other Rugers? Did not one of them satisfy you? Roll Eyes
And the shop personnel? What was their comment when they ran the bolt?

Zenner22, advertise where you live and someone on this forum with a Ruger Scout would be more than happy to help with this problem.
Dave
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 04:33:19 AM by Wapiti » Logged

"Eez gon! Eez not safe!",
As said by a Russian translator. The Art of the Rifle: Special Color Edition; Jeff Cooper, p. 23.

NRA Lifetime Member
zenner22
Cub Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 05:35:07 AM »

I was not able to check out the ones on the rack, won't be able to do that until Monday or Tuesday. I have been wondering if it's even possible that I was doing something silly but I don't think so anymore, especially since Ruger didn't just send my original rifle back to me and say it is fine. They said they couldn't fix it and sent me another one. The original tech I spoke to said the bolt should never bind no matter what position it is in. But then when I called back that the new one does it too, they gave a reason for it (which I still don't understand) and said it was likely I'd get another one that does it too. I take that to mean "this is how we make them" and it isn't a problem for most people. I have heard other complaints about this issue occasionally online. My feeling is that most people, if they get one like this,  just don't notice the problem or work around it and it's not a big deal to them. Just my guess. But I'm of the opinion of the original Ruger tech: the bolt should never bind no matter what position it is in.

I was moving on, but now I'll make a point to check out those Scouts at my local store. I'll even check out some other bolt actions to see if I can make another rifle bolt bind up due to some crazy way I'm running the bolt. Either way I'll ask what they think about the Scouts and see if they believe it is a problem. I'll let you guys know.

Thanks for the advice, especially on a different rifle. I'll do more research on what else is out there.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Want help with your SMF Forum or WebSite contact Small Networking Assistant!