ScoutRifle.org The Scout Rifle Community
Welcome, Guest. Please Fall In or register.
July 23, 2014, 02:44:48 PM

Login with Scout Name, credentials, and session length
Recon:     Advanced Recon
41388 Posts in 3827 Topics by 1962 Scouts
Latest Scout: Kimchi Raven
* Home Help Recon Fall In Enlist with ScoutRifle.org
+  The Scout Rifle Community
|-+  Scout Discussions
| |-+  Add your photos here!
| | |-+  Short Rifles
0 Scouts and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Short Rifles  (Read 2445 times)
takezo
Cub Scout

View Dossier
« on: February 18, 2012, 01:09:53 PM »

Short Rifles mainly because only one of these may lay claim to the Scout title.  From the top:

Persian Mauser Carbine in 8 X 57 sporterized circa 1964 by my father.  Not his first one in this format.  The first was a Type 44 Arisaka in 6.5 X 50 sporterized circa 1954 that he eventually sold - never was able to forgive him for that.  I think the Persian was his need to fill the loss of the Arisaka.  Based on the above I have concluded that the desire for short, handy bolt guns is a deep seated desire in all Marines.  I owe a debt of gratitude to my father for instilling that in me early on, and the Colonel for eventually formalizing the concept.

Second one down is the ubiquitous Mini-14, sans scope (have more short rifles than scopes at the moment).

Third one is an 1938 Obendorf Mauser I picked up from Big5 after reading the Colonel's writings concerning forward mounted scopes and the Scout Rifle concept.  My version of a P Scout (P for peasant model, circa 1998).  I shortened and re-crowned the barrel; modified the bayonet lug; and made a scope mount utilizing the original Mauser rear sight mount.  The rings are Leupold QR whatever - not as good as the QRW's.  Like a fool I only bought one of these from Big5 as the pre-war 98k's put to shame most modern produced rifles.  The attached 50 and 100 yard group pictures are an indication of what can be achieved after a little tinkering around with a rifle seven years older than the tinkerer.

Fourth is a Marlin in 45-70.  Wouldn't have bought this one had I known Remington purchased Marlin.  I'll keep it and clean up the Remington inspired cheese ball cost cutting measures because I like 45-70's and the Guide Gun concept.

Fifth is a CZ550FS in 9.3 X 62, and gets my vote for an off the shelf Super Scout.  I may eventually take the time to figure out a forward base to mount a Scout scope on it.  I have an N.E.C.G. rear peep sight that attaches to the CZ rear mount that would make an ideal combination with a Scout scope in my opinion.

Sixth one speaks for itself.  Hats off to Ruger, even though they are about twenty years late.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 01:21:08 PM by takezo » Logged
WAARHEID
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 11:13:21 AM »

Fantastic collection! I am a sucker for a short rifle too, even more for a short rifle with a full stock, I know accuracy can suffer in theory, but I'm passionate about the manlicher/stutzen aesthetic. If I ever put together the Mauser M03 left hand stutzen scout in 9.3x62 that I want, I may just retire the rest of my collection:
Roadie
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 04:18:06 PM »

takezo,

Nice pile of rifles.

Roadie

I don't think it is so much of a hero worship or quasi-religion thing as the closer you get to the actual specifications of the Scout Rifle the better the dang thing works in the field.
takezo
Cub Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 09:20:34 AM »

WAARHEID,

Thanks, and thanks for posting the pictures...what an interesting concept, wish I thought of it.

Mark
takezo
Cub Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 09:29:35 AM »

Thanks Roadie.  I have four others in the works.  Unfortunately, work is getting in the way of more important work.

Mark
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Want help with your SMF Forum or WebSite contact Small Networking Assistant!