ScoutRifle.org The Scout Rifle Community
Welcome, Guest. Please Fall In or register.
October 24, 2014, 04:55:43 AM

Login with Scout Name, credentials, and session length
Recon:     Advanced Recon
44033 Posts in 4011 Topics by 2040 Scouts
Latest Scout: Polizei45
* Home Help Recon Fall In Enlist with ScoutRifle.org
+  The Scout Rifle Community
|-+  Scout Discussions
| |-+  Factory Scouts
| | |-+  Ruger GSR - The Best Choice ?
0 Scouts and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Ruger GSR - The Best Choice ?  (Read 12072 times)
GeezerD
Scout

View Dossier
« on: February 14, 2012, 07:04:46 AM »

Proven mauser type action with CRF
3 position striker locking safety
3 sighting options including a solid forward rail
High quality detachable metal magazines
Reliable mechanical ejector
Reasonable size and weight
Out of the box accurate
Simple trigger mechanism (although I think a military style 2 stage would better serve the mission)
Adaptable ergonomic design
Threaded muzzle (enables several options)

Perfect ? absolutely not.  But IMO the best factory offering for the price. (even if you have to pay a gunsmith to smooth it up)--------------------- GeezerD

Back off ya varmints ,or I'ma gonna blast ya
wjkuleck
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 07:32:19 AM »

...and it looks and feels like you could use it as a cricket bat in an emergency and then go back to shooting it.

I don't have that kind of confidence in my Steyr.  Heck, every time I deploy the bipod it feels like I'm breaking it off!

Regards,

Walt

Author,
The NEW AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide,
The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide, The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide,
The M14
and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
and The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide[/I]
GeezerD
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 07:53:43 AM »

Oh yeah I forgot, ( Strong Like Tractor ) ------------------- GeezerD  Cheesy

scoutman
Scout Master

View Dossier
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 08:21:02 AM »

But it don't make scout weight (the great stratifier) Huh

"A really good trigger action will go further in making you a deadly field marksman than any other factor abour your weapon-"ART OF THE RIFLE"
Rick R
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 08:41:15 AM »

Proven mauser type action with CRF
Mauser yes, true CRF not quite.  But I haven't had any function problems not related to the poly mag.
Reasonable size and weight
Diplomatic description of the year.  Smiley
Perfect ? absolutely not.  But IMO the best factory offering for the price. (even if you have to pay a gunsmith to smooth it up)--------------------- GeezerD

I think I got the best bang for the buck from the GSR.  Now a company may come out with a better gun next week, but I've spent my rifle $ on the GSR.
GeezerD
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 09:01:24 AM »

But it don't make scout weight (the great stratifier) Huh

That's true, it isn't meant for women and kids.  Grin -----------------------------GeezerD

geminijim
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 09:44:50 AM »

Me thinks we should have a dedicated sub-forum entitled ~ The GSR Adulation Society    (Why not?)
Wapiti
JAFO

1st Special Service Force 1942–44 [Was not a mem.]

View Dossier
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 10:05:16 AM »

Heck, every time I deploy the bipod [Walt is posting about Steyr's bipod] it feels like I'm breaking it off!
Regards,
Walt
That swivel joint where a leg joins the stock looks very vulnerable. I had wanted to ask about it, now I know someone else who actually has one and knows from experience. Furthermore, its length is not adjustable.
Not complaining, just an observation.
Dave
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 10:10:28 AM by Wapiti » Logged

"Eez gon! Eez not safe!",
As said by a Russian translator. The Art of the Rifle: Special Color Edition; Jeff Cooper, p. 23.

NRA Lifetime Member
wjkuleck
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 11:21:01 AM »

Me thinks we should have a dedicated sub-forum entitled ~ The GSR Adulation Society    (Why not?)

Dunno about "adulation," but I like 'em enough to have two.

And a Steyr.

And a 600.

And a few ideas in the works...

Regards,

walt

Author,
The M14
michaelb
JAFO

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 12:41:47 PM »

Hate to say it, but a lot of folks - even here - in the words of The Colonel, "just don't get it."  Length and weight and balance are the key ingredients of the scout because handiness is the scout's premier quality. If you need an M4 SOP MOD erector set (and there are many awesome warfighters  who do) you should buy one. If you need a rifle that doubles as a plank to drive your wheeler into the bed of your pickup buy a couple Mosin-Nagant M44s.  But if you want know what a scout should feel like pick up a Remington 600 (not the chubby 660 or Mohawk) or a Model Seven or Ruger M77 Ultralight or Kimber 84M (without a scope on it, because most are too large and too high and too heavy) or a plain old Winchester M94.  Shoulder it knowing that if it was stocked properly and a scout scope mounted as low as humanly possible the crosswires would be centering your target.  Everything else is extra, if not excrescence. Perhaps I'm spoiled, having actually held "Sweetheart" and "Lion Scout," and shot Scout III in API270, but once you have then BUIS (especially plastic ones), DBMs, bipods, landing strip Picatinnys, flash hiders, threaded muzzles, extended magazines, magazine cutoffs, and buttstock magazine storage compartments all fade in importance.  The best scouts ever made were the numbered ones built by the 'Smithy when The Colonel still insisted they meet the original three kilogram specification. These days the only people I've seen even trying to build scouts the way The Colonel originally wanted them are the folks at Grizzly. Sorry for the rant, but the Steyr, Savage, and especially the current Ruger are all commercially compromised executions of the original vision.  $0.04  
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 08:26:22 PM by michaelb » Logged

"The object of the practical rifleman is the achievement of first-round hits, on appropriate targets, at unknown ranges, from improvised firing positions, against the clock." - Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
wjkuleck
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 12:51:22 PM »

We are in violent agreement Wink.

Is the RGSR a true scout?  No.  But, it is an affordable way to come close.

Ignoring the scoutliness or lack thereof, it's a pretty useful rifle all on its own.

Regards,

Walt

Author,
The M14
GeezerD
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 03:27:08 PM »

This thread is in reference to factory made rifles built to fill the conceptual role of "scout rifle". I and most of the people that I know can"t afford a custom built rifle,and even the price of the GSR is a little hard to come by these days. As such, the Ruger seems to be the best value for the dollar. If money was of no matter, I might consider having Westley Richards build one for me. But since I make about half what I used to and that money is worth half as much, I will stay with my GSR. --------------- GeezerD

BugIn762
Scout Master

View Dossier
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 03:29:29 PM »

I'm pretty sure I get it. I never understood the reason for a strict set of rules for a "Scout".  The Scout concept seemed to me to be a more personal endeavor as opposed to following a legislated set of rules.  The Colonel added and subtracted requirements when he was alive. Surely most people would agree that the arbitrary weight requirement cannot work for all people. A six-two 250 pound man and a five-four 160 pound man could have two different weights, lengths, and balance requirements for a "handy" rifle. I have no problem with people that like a set of rules to go by, it's the fascination with the dogma of weight that confuses me.

My rifle is not a "Scout", but I seem to shoot it well, I think it is handy, and like the balance. I would venture a guess that less than 1% of Scout rifle owners will ever carry the rifle long enough to think it is heavy. Weight IS the Scout killer. A glassed, loaded, and slung rifle under 3 kilo is rare. Ten rounds of 308 weighs 1/2 pound.

I do like the apparent, for lack of a better term, maturity of this site's contributors. That's why I pretend to own a Scout (that's what Ruger called it).

I never met the Mr. Cooper or took a Gunsite class, so that may disqualify me to make cogent comments to the knowing.

I feel better now. I'm going to reload some more .308's.

BugIn

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
My amendment can beat up your amendment.
Roadie
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 04:07:45 PM »

Simple trigger mechanism (although I think a military style 2 stage would better serve the mission)

Perfect ? absolutely not.  But IMO the best factory offering for the price. (even if you have to pay a gunsmith to smooth it up)--------------------- GeezerD

I agree with most of what you say. I for one think the two stage trigger is the weak point on the Steyr Scout. In cold weather and with gloves on I would like a good single stage like my RGSR with a Spec-Tech trigger.

...and it looks and feels like you could use it as a cricket bat in an emergency and then go back to shooting it.

I don't have that kind of confidence in my Steyr.  Heck, every time I deploy the bipod it feels like I'm breaking it off!

Regards,

Walt

I have always thought a field rifle should have a butt stock you could break a jaw with. My RGSR I think will. My Steyr would be missing the spare magazine and more than likely split the stock.

The Steyr Bi-pod is well OK for cleaning in the field but I think the rifle would be lighter with out it and I would rather have lighter. That click when you open it up and close it sounds like it just broke.

Me thinks we should have a dedicated sub-forum entitled ~ The GSR Adulation Society    (Why not?)

I think you may have missed some of my posts on this one. Grin

These days the only people I've seen even trying to build the way The Colonel originally wanted them are the folks at Grizzly. Sorry for the rant, but the Steyr, Savage, and especially the current Ruger are all commercially compromised executions of the original vision.  $0.04  

I agree but the Steyr, Ruger and Savage are about $3000.00 to $5000.00+ less than a custom.

You do get what you pay for and even my wife thinks I have limitations on what I will spend on a rifle.  Lips sealed

If you take the scope and rail off of the RGSR it makes the revised (Steyr) weight. I still think it is the best option in mass production at this time.  

Best regards,

Roadie

I don't think it is so much of a hero worship or quasi-religion thing as the closer you get to the actual specifications of the Scout Rifle the better the dang thing works in the field.
Jonno
Scout Master

View Dossier
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 05:42:08 PM »

3 position striker locking safety

Minor nit-pick at best but does the safety actually lock the striker?  I have been under the impression the Ruger safety only blocks the trigger.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Want help with your SMF Forum or WebSite contact Small Networking Assistant!