ScoutRifle.org The Scout Rifle Community
Welcome, Guest. Please Fall In or register.
September 19, 2014, 12:52:29 PM

Login with Scout Name, credentials, and session length
Recon:     Advanced Recon
43027 Posts in 3954 Topics by 2008 Scouts
Latest Scout: Kchorro
* Home Help Recon Fall In Enlist with ScoutRifle.org
+  The Scout Rifle Community
|-+  Scout Discussions
| |-+  Factory Scouts
| | |-+  GSR Issues
0 Scouts and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: GSR Issues  (Read 5147 times)
TACOMEBR
« on: February 02, 2012, 09:17:52 PM »

Brokennock has brought to my attention that I am bragging about the Savage Scout, and taking issue with the GSR, on the wrong thread, so hopefully this is the right format.
I do not dispute that Ruger makes good firearms, especially handguns. What I will argue, is that with all the problems with the Ruger Gunsite Rifle that have been discussed on this blog, there is an alternative available. That is all I am trying to get across to the GSR community, the Savage Scout is a damn fine rifle that is worthy of consideration. Maybe Andy should rename this .org the Ruger Gunsite Rifle, because, obviously. there is only "one true scout rifle".
michaelb
JAFO

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 09:30:15 PM »

Maybe Andy should rename this .org the Ruger Gunsite Rifle, because, obviously. there is only "one true scout rifle".

Not to worry TACOMEBR, these fads run in cycles.  There was a time when all other scouts paled in comparison to the Steyr.  When a rifles claims the title it gets compared to the others.  The RGSR is not perfect.  Neither is the Savage.  And even the Steyr has its shortcomings.  Interestingly, the Browning BLR could be, and the Ruger Frontier was, as strong a contender as any of the top three, but they don't get the critical beating the others do...maybe because they eschew the title.

"The object of the practical rifleman is the achievement of first-round hits, on appropriate targets, at unknown ranges, from improvised firing positions, against the clock." - Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
LeMat
JAFO

Toujours Pret!

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 11:27:29 PM »

I think the GSR is just the "latest, greatest" that is out right now, so it tends to get the most attention.  Even though I own one, I didn't get it simply because it claims to be a scout rifle.  Rather I wanted a short barrelled 308.  I had been trying for some time to procur an M77 RSI in 308 as that is the rifle that truly appeals to me.  The GSR came along and I snagged it up.

To be honest, I like reading about the p-scouts more than anything. Wink

" Learn to shoot better than your equipment, then make it better." -triggertime
SASS #43746
R.O. I/II
NRA Life Member
Brokennock
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 09:09:57 AM »

Thanks Tacomebr.  I have to admit I like the sleaker styling of the Savage. My only issue is the quality of the parts and a lot of past bad experiences with Savage rifles. Like I have stated before, Ruger often has problems early in a new model's production, it will get worked out. Savage took 3 "generations" to come up with the current offering you are happy with. And I am glad you are happy with it because in the end that's all that matters. Also a lot of the "problems" some of us speak of are somewhat nitpicking, with the exception of the poly mag issue. Bolt smoothness will come with break in and use, and I don't find mine to be that bad out of the box. It's not a $1200 rifle after all, in fact based on the cost from the distributers I use, most people are paying too much.

Please conitnue to enjoy your Savage and take many more fine hogs with it. (i kinda wish we had hogs here) And may it and you last many more years.
geminijim
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 09:55:52 AM »

I think the GSR is just the "latest, greatest" that is out right now, so it tends to get the most attention.  Even though I own one, I didn't get it simply because it claims to be a scout rifle.  Rather I wanted a short barrelled 308.  I had been trying for some time to procur an M77 RSI in 308 as that is the rifle that truly appeals to me.  The GSR came along and I snagged it up.

^^^  Yes. Lest we forget The GSR is a product of Ruger and Gunsite putting their heads together, designing this rifle, proclaiming this to be THE scout rifle we've all been waiting for and then unveiled it in a huge media blitz with the expert's approval and all.  In other words - What do you expect?  Nevertheness, I think it is a great "general purpose" rifle and worthy of respect.  It's not perfect but could any rifle be all things to all people?  No, but if that was possible how much would that rifle cost?  Hopefully Ruger will resolve these nagging magazine issues with a minimal of difficulty and put it behind them...and us!

« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 11:13:02 AM by geminijim » Logged
Henhouse1
Boy Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 10:32:05 AM »

I think the GSR is just the "latest, greatest" that is out right now, so it tends to get the most attention.  Even though I own one, I didn't get it simply because it claims to be a scout rifle.  Rather I wanted a short barrelled 308.  I had been trying for some time to procur an M77 RSI in 308 as that is the rifle that truly appeals to me.  The GSR came along and I snagged it up.

^^^  Yes. Lest we forget The GSR is a product of Ruger and Gunsite putting their heads together, designing this rifle, proclaiming this to be THE scout rifle we've all been waiting for and then unveiled it in a huge media blitz with the experts approval and all.  In other words - What do you expect?  Nevertheness, I think it is a great "general purpose" rifle and worthy of respect.  It's not perfect but could any rifle be all things to all people.  No, but if that was possible how much would that rifle cost?  Hopefully Ruger will resolve these nagging magazine issues with a minimal of difficulty and put it behind them...and us!

I bought mine 'cause it just looks so cool!   And BTW, no issues at all. Grin
wjkuleck
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 10:34:39 AM »

^^^  Yes. Lest we forget The GSR is a product of Ruger and Gunsite putting their heads together, designing this rifle, proclaiming this to be THE scout rifle we've all been waiting for and then unveiled it in a huge media blitz with the experts approval and all.  In other words - What do you expect?  Nevertheness, I think it is a great "general purpose" rifle and worthy of respect.  It's not perfect but could any rifle be all things to all people.  No, but if that was possible how much would that rifle cost?  Hopefully Ruger will resolve these nagging magazine issues with a minimal of difficulty and put it behind them...and us!

Specifically, Ed Head at Gunsite.  Ed liked the Frontier, but wanted more Wink.

Regards,

Walt

Author,
The NEW AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide,
The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide, The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide,
The M14
and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
and The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide[/I]
mura
Cub Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 02:37:09 PM »

Brokennock has brought to my attention that I am bragging about the Savage Scout, and taking issue with the GSR, on the wrong thread, so hopefully this is the right format.
I do not dispute that Ruger makes good firearms, especially handguns. What I will argue, is that with all the problems with the Ruger Gunsite Rifle that have been discussed on this blog, there is an alternative available. That is all I am trying to get across to the GSR community, the Savage Scout is a damn fine rifle that is worthy of consideration. Maybe Andy should rename this .org the Ruger Gunsite Rifle, because, obviously. there is only "one true scout rifle".

What Problems do you mean? The only real "problems" what i read was with the new Polymer Mags but this are a extra part and not the Original Ruger Scout Configuration, but sure Ruger have to fix this. Out of the Box with the Original Steel Mags the Ruger operates extremely reliable. Sure, you can polish the Bolt a little bit or modify the Trigger but this are no problems, it is called tuning.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 02:40:45 PM by mura » Logged
jbsmwd
Boy Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 02:54:31 PM »

What Problems do you mean? The only real "problems" what i read was with the new Polymer Mags but this are a extra part and not the Original Ruger Scout Configuration, but sure Ruger have to fix this. Out of the Box with the Original Steel Mags the Ruger operates extremely reliable. Sure, you can polish the Bolt a little bit or modify the Trigger but this are no problems, it is called tuning.

Yep, I tuned up my Dodge.....err Ruger.
Roadie
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 03:53:50 PM »

I could not agree more. The only issues I have had with the rifle as delivered was well "None".

It will not feed reliably with the after market polymer magazine mostly the 10 round.

I understand Ruger may have made maybe 15,000 Scout rifles to this point. There are complaints posted on this sight on a regular basis of "Where can I get one" or "I can't find one". That tells me most of them are sold not sitting in a warehouse some place.

The magazine issue discussed on this sight may account for, by my count 10 or 20 rifles more or less. That sounds quite good by any standard. Those of us that have had an issue with the magazines have made some comments about it and some talk about polishing the feed ramp comes up.

Most comments are it shoots 2 MOA or more often much better. Mine shoots sub-MOA with the right ammunition.

If you check on most 1911 sights magazines and feed ramps come up often in conjunction with 1 or 2K + pistols. I have a few 1911's and all have had feed ramp modifications and I only use Wilson magazines others don't feed reliably.  

We need to keep this in perspective.

Best regards,

Roadie

I don't think it is so much of a hero worship or quasi-religion thing as the closer you get to the actual specifications of the Scout Rifle the better the dang thing works in the field.
JakeGa
Boy Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 05:33:20 PM »

I'm not sure there is a "perfect" rifle even a scout rifle.  The Ruger GSR comes close in my part of the country but may not be quite there on the open plains.  Also the different body styles, skill range, and expected use contribute to what is perfect.  The scout CONCEPT is more in line with adaptation to the individual than most other rifles and while each may have their exacting preferences the concept remains close.  And I would really, really like to have a Browning BLR in scout configuration. I think it would make a nice companion to my GSR here inthe SE US.
BugIn762
Scout Master

View Dossier
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 06:20:52 PM »

TACOMEBR,

I think you have proved your point.

Out of eleven posts in a thread about Savage scouts, 10 are about the GSR.

I'm a "other rifle" guy but I see your point.

BugIn

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
My amendment can beat up your amendment.
justakid
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 08:01:09 PM »

Look back far enough in the archives of this site and you will find ALOT of discussion of the savage. There is a lot of talk about the ruger on here simply because its new, it came from the range where the scout concept really got on its feet, and it seems to be very popular.

The "issues" are extremely nit picky. I'll bet you pick up any brand new rifle out of the box, swab the barrel, stuff the original mag with shells, slam the bolt forward and pull the trigger it'll go bang ten times, accurately, which is what really matters. Is it better than the savage? I think they are very comparable and it really depends on who's holding it. As much as I like savage rifles (personally own 2) I really didn't like their scout offering. Just like TACOMEBR didn't like the ruger

To be honest, the way I found out about this rifle was I was looking for a Ruger bolt gun in 308 with a short barrel and irons. The GSR is just that. And a 10 rd mag. And a forward mounted picatinny rail. And mini 30 irons. And a black laminate stock. And I still don't have mine. Sigh
ahamilton
Boy Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 08:29:39 PM »

I think the reason the Savage is not getting as much attention is due to availability, at least in my neck of the woods. I'm not a big internet gun buyer as all the local FFL holders want 50 dollars plus tax for a transfer. I was actually shopping for a Savage and was unable to find one, I walked into a big box place one day and there was a GSR with essentially the same basic features. Decent trigger, Ghost ring sights, forward rail, short barrel, and DBM. I'd still buy a Savage or two if I could find them local, especially one of the 7.62x39 models. My wallet enjoys 7.62x39 more than it does .308  Roll Eyes
veriest1
Scout Master

View Dossier
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 01:34:02 AM »

The Ruger  GSR has pretty much become my favorite rifle for general use. I found out about the scout concept because I was getting ready to build a practical rifle for a woods gun/short field work and stumbled in. For the sake of this thread I'll illustrate the differences I've seen and my love for both the GSR and my Savage FCP-K in .308. Obviously carrying the two are night and day since the GSR is short and weighs little but the big Savage weighs in the 13 pound range. Therefore I won't be discussing how they are in the field since they serve two completely different purposes but I will discuss the similar components.

My GSR has a perfectly smooth bolt but it's also got about 600 rounds through it with a lot of dry fire practice on top of that (1500ish + dryfire on the Savage). However, the Ruger bolt was never bad enough for me to worry about it smoothing out. Neither was the Savage for that matter.

Feeding from the GSRs supplied metal mag is flawless. Feeding from the 3 round poly mag is flawless. I can make all the poly 10 round mags i have work with a good Cooper style bolt flick (just don't go slow). Currently I'm waiting on Ruger to disclose the fix before I take the plunge and shave a bit of material off the feed lips. The new style Savage magazine is kind of goofy if one is used to anything else but it does work. I want to try one of those 9 round extended mags in it some time in the future.

Trigger: it's fine. My Savage trigger has a better "feel" but it's not as reliable (if you bolt flick it expect to cock it again). I've fallen in love with shooting double action revolvers lately so I notice triggers less and less. An aftermarket trigger would solve that issue just like metal mags negate the issue some have had with GSR.

I don't mind the short barrel. The velocity tradeoff is negligible since I'm not trying to keep things supersonic at 1000 yards with my scout. Targets can't seem to tell the difference.

I much prefer the GSR stock to my Accustock from a feel and aesthetics POV but the Accustock obviously works too.

Accuracy from the GSR has been great with a couple of 1 MOA groups when I was doing my part. I've never shot it from a bench or bipod though so I don't know what it'll really do. My savage does 1/4-1/2 MOA with loads it likes. Can I shoot it to 1/4 MOA all the time? Nope. I'm just not that good but I am lucky at times.

Both barrels are nice and thick and seem to hold POI for reasonable strings of fire. Both are great factory barrels IMO.

So would I buy a Savage Scout? No. I looked at it and knowing my intended use I steered clear since I've used the big Savage for a woods gun after I sold my A-bolt off. The Savage action makes a fine long range gun from what I've seen but in the woods and carrying it I can't trust the action for snap shots because I'm always checking to make sure it's still cocked.

"Times are bad. Children no longer obey their parents, and everyone is writing a book."
-Cicero
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Want help with your SMF Forum or WebSite contact Small Networking Assistant!