ScoutRifle.org The Scout Rifle Community
Welcome, Guest. Please Fall In or register.
November 25, 2014, 06:06:51 PM

Login with Scout Name, credentials, and session length
Recon:     Advanced Recon
45052 Posts in 4089 Topics by 2090 Scouts
Latest Scout: Pa Jaeger
* Home Help Recon Fall In Enlist with ScoutRifle.org
+  The Scout Rifle Community
|-+  Scout Discussions
| |-+  Factory Scouts
| | |-+  Low profile thread protector for Gunsite Scout Rifle?
0 Scouts and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Low profile thread protector for Gunsite Scout Rifle?  (Read 2737 times)
cynergyou
Scout

View Dossier
« on: January 22, 2012, 06:22:24 PM »

Hey All,

Does anyone have a good photo of a Ruger GSR with a thread protector installed?   If I pull the trigger and buy the GSR (instead of a Steyr or Savage) I'd probably replace the flash hider with a thread protector.   I've seen one photo of a GSR with a knurled thread protector - it looked kind of large and bulbous on muzzle.  I was wondering if anyone has a nice, low-profile thread protector installed on their gun.

what thread protector would you recommend for the GSR?

Thanks in advance.

Cynergyou
veriest1
Scout Master

View Dossier
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 09:03:36 PM »

This is the medium diameter from YHM on my GSR. There's an ounce or so of weight difference but I'll have to look it up on my computer to remember the exact difference.

Personally I love it like this but it will throw HUGE obnoxious fireballs with factory loads. With the loads mine likes (45 grains of Varget under a 150 grain FMJ or Corelokt) a flash hider isn't needed at all.

"Times are bad. Children no longer obey their parents, and everyone is writing a book."
-Cicero
cynergyou
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 04:52:02 AM »

Thanks veriest1!  That's a great photo.  That's exactly what I was looking for! 

I think I prefer the GSR with a thread protector installed.  I plan on developing a slightly reduced recoil/blast load for this gun, so hopefully that will eliminate the need for flash hider.

Thanks again for your post.

Cynergyou
timalso
Scout Master

View Dossier
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 10:04:23 AM »

Cynergyou,

If you find such load in your work, please share it with the forum.

Tim

Tim(also)
cynergyou
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 11:09:06 AM »

timalso - will do! 

i am getting ready to order my GSR.  Kittery Trading Post over in Maine had 3 of them a week or two ago, but I guess they are popular because they are sold out now.  They also had a used one around Christmas Time and within a day or two it was gone!
Jaeger
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 12:52:07 PM »

timalso - will do! 

i am getting ready to order my GSR.  Kittery Trading Post over in Maine had 3 of them a week or two ago, but I guess they are popular because they are sold out now.  They also had a used one around Christmas Time and within a day or two it was gone!

One of my favorite places to go whenever I train up a Sigarms Academy!

"To be free a man must have three things: land, education, and a rifle....always a rifle."

Emiliano Zapata (1880-1919)

Mexican Freedom Fighter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Want help with your SMF Forum or WebSite contact Small Networking Assistant!