ScoutRifle.org The Scout Rifle Community
Welcome, Guest. Please Fall In or register.
August 22, 2014, 10:29:21 PM

Login with Scout Name, credentials, and session length
Recon:     Advanced Recon
42191 Posts in 3895 Topics by 1985 Scouts
Latest Scout: micfurm48
* Home Help Recon Fall In Enlist with ScoutRifle.org
+  The Scout Rifle Community
|-+  Scout Discussions
| |-+  Factory Scouts
| | |-+  Ruger Scout in a synthetic stock
0 Scouts and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Ruger Scout in a synthetic stock  (Read 12354 times)
Hunterk98
Scout

View Dossier
« on: January 13, 2012, 02:05:12 PM »

It would seem that the RGS can be fitted into an older generation synthetic stock with reasonable ease according to this gentleman.

http://www.shooting.com.au/forum/index.php?/topic/12402-ruger-gunsite-in-a-boat-paddle/

Quite interesting, But I wonder if it will reduce weight significantly for the change to be worthwhile. Im also a bit iffy about losing the adjustable length of pull on the stock. Still its some food dor thought.

Hunterk98

Foras Admonitio.
Chainlink
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 03:14:07 PM »

put me on the "I likey" list..not sure if that would be something I would do but I really like the look. I wonder to if it makes a difference in weight.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow  for those who do not.
Barry in IN
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 06:36:15 PM »

It now says the weight difference is 266 grams, which is....uh...9.38287 ounces.
wjkuleck
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 07:43:19 PM »

It now says the weight difference is 266 grams, which is....uh...9.38287 ounces.

...which is 1/2 pound.  Worth the effort, methinks.

Regards,

Walt

Author,
The NEW AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide,
The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide, The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide,
The M14
and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
and The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide[/I]
titanicslim
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 09:10:20 PM »

My rifle is fairly hefty but I like the feel of it.  Not to put too fine a point on it but it feels like a weapon.   Assuming I can live with the surface feel of a synthetic stock, I'd like as not add  lead to the butt the same as was saved by the synthetic. 
Hunterk98
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 10:33:53 PM »

So for the effort of getting a used stock and installing it there is a 1/2 pound lost from a 7 pound rifle or .25 of a kilo, less than the weight of a stubby of beer. (Sorry we speak metric down here) I had a ruger in one of those boat paddle stocks once, they are rather thick and heavy from memory. This also raises the possiblity of Houge and other after market synthetic stocks being able to be fitted.

Im still not sold on the idea though. Id much rather a Ruger offered synthetic with the adjustable length of butt.

For me 266g is not really worth the effort and expense. Like it was said in the 13th warrior

"this is too heavy for me"

Viking shrugs and replies "grow stronger"

Foras Admonitio.
Brokennock
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 10:46:47 PM »

Brings to mind a question I've had for a while. Actually two questions. First, how would you go about putting your GSR on a weight loss plan, I've had to do it with a couple 1911's, but not a rifle? remove some woodd from the forestock under the barrel? And second if you had your choice of aftermarket stock company to make a lighter stock for the GSR, who would it be? If we seem to have a consensus maybe we can all start lobbying them.
titanicslim
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 02:17:37 PM »

I've just removed the stock on my Ruger and found that it has not been routed out under the barrel, so you could save a little weight that way. 
The laminated Boyd's stocks I've bought did have that channel but I wanted the stock to be as strong as I could have it, so I laid some carbon fiber cloth in there and saturated it with epoxy resin.  Did I end up with a net saving?  Probably not a great deal but I still would do it the same way if I cut that out of the Ruger.

Dave
veriest1
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 02:20:45 PM »

Brings to mind a question I've had for a while. Actually two questions. First, how would you go about putting your GSR on a weight loss plan, I've had to do it with a couple 1911's, but not a rifle? remove some woodd from the forestock under the barrel? And second if you had your choice of aftermarket stock company to make a lighter stock for the GSR, who would it be? If we seem to have a consensus maybe we can all start lobbying them.

I've been working towards this ever since I got my rifle. I'm currently putting together a thread for what I've learned so far but the general idea is that most savings come from paying close attention to what accessories you put on it. Once I have a little more data I'll post up the details.

Of course I'm seriously looking at this synthetic stock thing too. I've wondered if it was possible since I started researching these guns last year.

"Times are bad. Children no longer obey their parents, and everyone is writing a book."
-Cicero
titanicslim
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 02:55:46 PM »

If we seem to have a consensus maybe we can all start lobbying them.
How about Ruger?  Besides the obvious, they seem to be receptive to new ideas in regards to design and practicality.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 04:43:01 PM by titanicslim » Logged
michaelb
JAFO

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 06:42:12 PM »

Maybe a fella could sweet talk McMillan into fitting their Hunter's EDGE to the RGSR.  It weighs twenty two ounces finished, but one imagines it'll look like a Mannlicher wrapped around the stubby 16 inch tube.  

Even lighter is the Lone Wolf Summit XL and Summit XL II at ~16 ounces.  They appear to have some knowledge of the scout concept and the shorter fore end won't give the RGSR barrel a complex.

Problem is, either stick will double what you have in the rifle.  Sized as it is for a magnum case head the RGSR has chubby built in from the get go.  There are any number of ways to take a mill to a rifle action which might yield a couple ounces.  A person can also choose to slim the tube but I don't know enough about hammer-forged steel to know if taking a lathe to the Ruger stepped barrel is an option.  Maybe some fluting could be arranged instead?  You could also drill some holes in the landing strip and loose the birdcage.  If you don't plan to use the irons routinely you could turn down the muzzle then drill and tap the front end of the landing strip for an M16 front sight.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 07:04:07 PM by michaelb » Logged

"The object of the practical rifleman is the achievement of first-round hits, on appropriate targets, at unknown ranges, from improvised firing positions, against the clock." - Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
Mossyrock
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 10:54:05 AM »

This might be an obvious question, but has anyone tried to fit the Scout into the current Ruger synthetic?  They appear to be available.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=45172/Product/STOCK-ASSEMBLY-SHORT-ACTION-ALL-WEATHER
michaelb
JAFO

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 11:52:13 AM »

What's underneath the grip and fore end panels of the canoe paddle stock, what do they weigh, and can the rifle be effectively manipulated without them?

"The object of the practical rifleman is the achievement of first-round hits, on appropriate targets, at unknown ranges, from improvised firing positions, against the clock." - Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
Stillhunter
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 10:33:09 PM »

Nice backpack you got there  Grin

"You have to remember the country was still half wild then... It was Daddy's Winchester that brought perfect manners out of every single man who rode up to the house" - My Grandaddy
michaelb
JAFO

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 02:38:23 PM »

There are any number of ways to take a mill to a rifle action which might yield a couple ounces.  

Some ideas about putting the RGSR on a diet, in descending order of reversability:

Cut all the spare leather off Andy's sling and replace the buckle with a Chicago screw
Use three round magazines
Dispense with the LOP spacers
Remove the flash hider
Drill a series of 3/4 holes vertically through the scout mount
Mill off the Picatinny notches on the scout mount you don't use
Drill a hole through the bottom of the scope rings
Drill three holes through the top of each scope ring
Cut off half the length of each QD lever
Drill a three inch, two inch, and one inch hole crosswise through the stock
Drill a one inch hole three inches deep up into the pistol grip
Drill four 3/4 inch holes vertically through the fore end
Drill a 3/8 inch hole in the end of the bolt knob
Mill crisscrossing helical flutes in the bolt body
Take 0.10 off the diameter of the barrel except where the mounts or front sight touch it
Mill a lightening cut through the right side of the rear receiver bridge
Mill a lightening cut through the left side of the receiver opposite the ejection port

Now, I don't don't own an RGSR, so one of you will have to go first  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 04:56:59 PM by michaelb » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Want help with your SMF Forum or WebSite contact Small Networking Assistant!