ScoutRifle.org The Scout Rifle Community
Welcome, Guest. Please Fall In or register.
April 23, 2014, 08:14:55 PM

Login with Scout Name, credentials, and session length
Recon:     Advanced Recon
Need a Scout Rifle Sling? www.andysleather.com
38977 Posts in 3674 Topics by 1890 Scouts
Latest Scout: Buck82
* Home Help Recon Fall In Enlist with ScoutRifle.org
+  The Scout Rifle Community
|-+  Scout Discussions
| |-+  Factory Scouts
| | |-+  What does your Ruger GSR (or Savage / Steyr) weigh ?
0 Scouts and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: What does your Ruger GSR (or Savage / Steyr) weigh ?  (Read 1999 times)
triggertime
JAFO

Brass in the air

View Dossier WWW
« on: January 06, 2012, 08:25:20 PM »

I would be interested in knowing what folk's Scout Rifles weigh, iron sights and/or scope, all up but action empty.

For instance,  the weights below of my guns are with scope, sling, and butt cuff full with loaded ammo.

Springfield  03A3                                   9 lbs 1.2 oz    (scope and iron sights)

Ruger RSI Scout                                    8 lbs 3.6 oz    (scope, no iron's)

Marlin 336                                             7 lbs 1.4 oz    (Iron's only)

Ruger Hawkeye  Compact 7.62x39           7 lbs 1.2 oz    (Iron's only)

If you have a detachable box magazine, you can list your wight with the magazine empty,  and full,  but empty chamber.  Course,  
a rifle with no ammo is not much good !!  

What does YOUR'S weigh ?  (AR people, go ahead and throw in your numbers also if you wish ! )

Regards,
Mark

Take your time, but be quick about it
Andy
Administrator
JAFO

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 05:19:08 AM »

Good thread Trig,

I just de-piggafied the M4ish thingy. I need to weigh it and the other toys. I'll report back tomorrow, I am in a semi-hurry to escape at this moment.

Andy

Sale on Rhodesian Scout Rifle Slings, http://www.andysleather.com !
Andy Langlois
Custom Rifle Slings, Holsters and more
http://andysleather.com/
The "Ching Sling" maker!
Call me if you need one, 603-630-4072
Please email me for fastest response: andy@shottist.com
scoutman
Scout Master

View Dossier
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 05:44:59 AM »

Andy,

RE: Your marriage.

Congradulations to the Bridegroom Wink

Condolances to the Bride Undecided

"A really good trigger action will go further in making you a deadly field marksman than any other factor abour your weapon-"ART OF THE RIFLE"
veriest1
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 09:03:54 AM »

My GSR in the configuration I've come to prefer with scope, DIY Ching sling, and empty 3 round magazine weighs 7.76 pounds.

"Times are bad. Children no longer obey their parents, and everyone is writing a book."
-Cicero
Rick R
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 02:30:49 PM »

Using the digital bathroom scale I got the following:

Ruger RSI with Leupold 1-4x scope and Alaskan Guide Sling loaded with .308  = 7.8#
Marlin Guide Gun with Leupold 2x pistol scope, XS rail, WWG rear sight and Alaskan Guide Sling = 7.8#
Ruger GSR with Leupold 2.5x Scout scope, five round steel mag and one of Andy's slings = 8.4#
Interarms Whitworth in .375 H&H with Lyman receiver sight and sling = 8.4#

The two Rugers are both easy to shoot, the Marlin and Whitworth are a bit more "fun".  I really just threw the .375 in as an example of what you would want while in country where the critters might want to hunt you.   Grin

While the GSR looks like a pig on paper I found it easy to carry during deer season.  My thumb naturally goes over the receiver and my fingers are in front of the magazine.  Easier to carry than some lighter rifles.

BTW- Congrats to Andy and his bride!  Best of wishes to you both.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 05:41:49 PM by Rick R » Logged
Rick R
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 08:13:56 AM »

This morning I weighed one of our issue Bushmaster carbines, 16.5" M-4 style barrel, fixed carry handle, single point sling, collapsible stock and TLR-1 light, no magazine. 
6 Lbs, 8 Oz on the office postal scale.

scoutman
Scout Master

View Dossier
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 09:22:19 AM »

Ruger Compact-7# 8 oz- Lupy 3X scope.sling.
Rem 700-7# 4 oz- Burris mount, Burris scoute scope, sling.barrel 19", B&C stock.
Springfield 03A3-7# 13 oz-barrel 19", API stock, GI sights.
Win 94-7# 1 oz.,Burris scout scope, XS rib, sling, BU irons.
Marlin 336-7# 3oz, scout scope, XS rib, BU irons, sling.

"A really good trigger action will go further in making you a deadly field marksman than any other factor abour your weapon-"ART OF THE RIFLE"
BAMB
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 02:56:42 PM »

I have the Savage scout with leupold scope, Andy's Ching sling, and loaded 4rd magazine weighing in at exactly 9lbs.
MCKNBRD
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 05:31:55 PM »

BAMB, might want to check your scales...my Savage Scout, with Leupy FXII Scout Scope, 4 rds, Andy's sling, and Leupold's low QRW rings comes in at 7.8lbs.

I'll avoid posting my AR's weight...as its a bit portly.  SR556E w/ Burris PEPR holding a Leupold MkAR 1.5-4x scope, MagPul ACS stock, AFG, and Hogue grip, & a loaded MagPul 30rd mag is waaaay overweight.

Shoots good...and is a pleasure to clean, but its fat.  Might have to look at an alternative for the ACS and try to figure out how to thin down the mount a little.  Gas piston ARs aren't known for being lightweight...

Byrdman

Just a shooter with a bit of a Ruger problem...
10/22s, 22/45, Bearcat, LCP, LCR, SR1911, Mini-30, SR556E, OD SR9, and a .308 American.
Others in my stable...
Savage Scout, Browning Buckmark, Makarov, and a Maverick for HD.
george1
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 03:26:38 AM »

On a crap set of kitchen scales, my Steyr Scout (built around 2001) plus Leupold Scout scope, QRW mounts and (Galco) scout sling weighs 3450g (7lb 9oz) empty.

As above but with 5 rounds, it weighs just under 3600g (7lb 11oz)

George
BAMB
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 08:33:03 AM »

BAMB, might want to check your scales...my Savage Scout, with Leupy FXII Scout Scope, 4 rds, Andy's sling, and Leupold's low QRW rings comes in at 7.8lbs.

I am actually glad to hear that. I was dissapointed when I saw the weight was that high. Hopefully it's just a problem with the scale, I'll try to weigh it on something else and re-post.
triggertime
JAFO

Brass in the air

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 08:34:42 PM »

Thanks everyone for weighing in   Undecided  I don't see anything less than 7 lbs,  which is what I expected.  I don't think
even the hawkey Compact will make the 6.6 lb mark,  with sling and scope, much less a butt cuff and ammo.

As I recall,  when the Col. started the Scout Rifle project,  it was an excercise in perfection. Which certainly is a worthy
goal,  but I just wonder if too much is made of "making weight".  

This is of course very subjective,  but the differance between my Compact and 03A3  (7 Vs. 9 lbs) is somewhat noticable,
but not that big of deal. On the other hand,  the differance between the 03A3 and the 460 G&A  (12.9) is certainly
a huge diferance.  

I also found it interesting that not many people keep ammo on their rifle. My rifles were all weighed as shown, with butt cuff
and ammo.  A picture is below.  The only reason I added the 460,  is because it is the heaviest rifle I own.  12 lbs 9 oz with
5 rounds in the magazine.  But in this case,  that is a GOOD thing   Wink

I think my 16" 94 with plastic furniture *might* come in right at 6 lbs, or a bit less,  when it is done,  with irons.  We shall see.  

Personally,  I am of the opinion that if your GP/Scout rifle weighs between 7-9 lbs,  and you are happy with it,  it is what it is.
Enjoy it,  and shoot the hell out of it.

Regards,
Mark

P.s.  you AR people,  on the other hand,  REALLY NEED to get a real rifle.  A  16"  94 or 336.   Grin

« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 08:51:04 PM by triggertime » Logged

veriest1
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 10:05:31 PM »

I'm not one that studies the Colonel's writings religiously but if I remember correctly he weighed minus ammo. I figure that was because ammo is, to some extent, a variable. This is not only a matter of how many rounds are in the gun but also, to some degree, bullet weight and charge weight. And one can always under load a magazine if desired. One must also take different jurisdictions and legal magazine capacity into account. All in all I think weighing without ammo cuts down on the amount of bickering about who's gun is lighter.

Furthermore, I seem to recall the colonel writing about being able to hold your gun out to the side one handed for a designated amount of time in an attempt to determine what was to heavy for the individual.

One way or another I'm pleased with the weight of my GSR at less than 8 lbs.

"Times are bad. Children no longer obey their parents, and everyone is writing a book."
-Cicero
triggertime
JAFO

Brass in the air

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 11:07:32 PM »

veriest,

You are correct to my knowledge on all acounts.

I do think the Col. was remis in not counting in a magazine load of ammo, butt cuff, sling, scope,  etc.  in other words,  "all up" . 
A nekid rifle is one thing.  As we can see here,  a rifle nekid,  with no iron sights, sling, butt cuff or ammo  can  "make weight". 
Add irons, sling, butt cuff and ammo,  with the gun unloaded,  and it suddenly becomes over 7 lbs.  Not by much,  but still. 

Just my opinion,  but a rilfe with no ammo attached to it,  is a very nice club, or poker,  but it will not make loud noises and send
projectiles down range.  We could be completely honest,  and ask,  "how much does your rifle weigh loaded, with spare ammo on
board ?"   that would proably be a better guide.  The numbers would certainly have to go up, ( and the gamers would load 110 gr
bullets in 308 to keep the weight down  Grin )

As I said, 6.6 lbs is a worthy goal,  but without sights, and ammo,  (much less butt cuff or shooting sling)   it is a very nice club.

Just saying.  Nobody has to agree with me.  Mine all weigh between 7-9,  and I like them all.

M

veriest1
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 11:23:38 AM »

I've never been a buttcuff fan myself. This is for both balance reasons (on some guns) and catching a sleeve on them. I prefer to keep 5 round ammo carriers in a front pocket and load from those.

I can see weighing with ammo in the magazine but even then it's easy to determine what a gun would weigh with a given number of rounds if we have the weight of the ammo we want to use. Of course subtraction is easy too and would still be close enough for our purposes.

-Cicero
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Want help with your SMF Forum or WebSite contact Small Networking Assistant!