ScoutRifle.org The Scout Rifle Community
Welcome, Guest. Please Fall In or register.
August 30, 2014, 03:12:35 PM

Login with Scout Name, credentials, and session length
Recon:     Advanced Recon
42337 Posts in 3906 Topics by 1987 Scouts
Latest Scout: PGT
* Home Help Recon Fall In Enlist with ScoutRifle.org
+  The Scout Rifle Community
|-+  Scout Discussions
| |-+  Factory Scouts
| | |-+  Savage Scout
0 Scouts and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Savage Scout  (Read 20012 times)
TACOMEBR
« on: December 02, 2011, 09:17:21 PM »

There seems to be a lot of interest in the Ruger Gunsite Scout and not much is being posted on the Savage Model 10FCM Scout. I'm curious as to why, since IMHO the Savage is a better buy. I  talked to a Ruger rep at a recent gun show, and he conceded that the GSR, as everyone refers to the Ruger, needs some polishing of the action out of the box, or as he stated, "Simply run 200 rounds through it". I don't know about you guys, but at $850 or better, the additional cost of 200 rounds of .308 sorta increases the purchase price. In addition there sure seems to be a lot of after-market triggers for the "GSR". Apparently the stock trigger has issues.

I recently purchased a Savage Scout for $695 after talking to a Savage rep at my local dealer. He demonstrated the AccuTrigger with a mock-up and actually broke down another Savage to show me the advantages of the AccuStock. To me, guys, customer service enters in to my decision making, and this guy impressed me, which is not easily done. He admitted that years ago you could purchase a Savage from your local hardware store. That is not longer the case. If you value the trademark Ruger over Savage, when it comes to a decision as to which rifle to buy, do yourself a favor and visit www.savagearms.com, and watch the videos of the AccuTrigger and AccuStock.

If nothing else, the money I saved enabled me to purchase a Ching sling from Andy, and with a little input from the "old fart retirement fund" a Leupold FX-II. I should receive my Scout early next week and after mounting the sling (hurry up, Andy) and scope will take it to the range and give you a after action report.
justsaymo
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 04:14:31 PM »

A few years back I almost bought a Savage Scout.  What turned me off was the stock.  Functional but I just didn't like it. 

Came close to getting a Jungle Scout too.  A friend beat me too it - which in the long run was a good thing as it turned out to be a real dog accuracy wise. 

The GSR intrigued me enough to order one sight unseen.  Deadduck's and Gunblast's reviews sealed the deal for me.  Now, 10 months later, I like the GSR even better.
Whelenshooter
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 05:08:53 PM »

What is a Jungle Scout?

Whelenshooter

Shoot low Sheriff, they're ridin' Shetlands!
wjkuleck
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 05:51:19 PM »

What is a Jungle Scout?

Whelenshooter

I infer that it is a scoutified Enflied No. 5 Mk 1.

Regards,

Walt

Author,
The NEW AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide,
The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide, The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide,
The M14
and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
and The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide[/I]
TACOMEBR
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 05:58:59 PM »

A few years back I almost bought a Savage Scout.  What turned me off was the stock.  Functional but I just didn't like it. 

Came close to getting a Jungle Scout too.  A friend beat me too it - which in the long run was a good thing as it turned out to be a real dog accuracy wise. 

The GSR intrigued me enough to order one sight unseen.  Deadduck's and Gunblast's reviews sealed the deal for me.  Now, 10 months later, I like the GSR even better.

Now I'm intrigued. All the reviews that I've read on the Savage is it's a nail driver, literally (once again hit www.savagearms.com). There are two generations of Savage Scouts and I wonder if you're referring to gen 1. Lots of improvements on gen 2.  My experience with long guns is certainly not extensive as some other members of the community, but I've always valued synthetic stocks like the Hogue Overmold over wood, especially a laminate. I would be interested in hearing from other members.
wjkuleck
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 06:19:24 PM »

Industry sources tell me that the #1 most important (or second, I misremember which) consideration by purchasers when selecting a rifle is...wait for it...appearance.  This is one characteristic I submit that the GSR hit spot-on.

Regards,

Walt

Author,
The M14
TACOMEBR
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 06:27:48 PM »

Industry sources tell me that the #1 most important (or second, I misremember which) consideration by purchasers when selecting a rifle is...wait for it...appearance.  This is one characteristic I submit that the GSR hit spot-on.

Regards,

Walt
No offense, sir, but our opinions obviously differ. Yes, the appearance of a purchase definitely effects the buyer, but in the case of a firearm, I have to believe that FUNCTION is paramount. I'm new here, so I don't want to start raising eyebrows, so let's just agree to disagree. I respect your opinion, and would be interested in hearing from other members. Thanks, Walt.
wjkuleck
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 06:36:20 PM »

Regards,

Walt
No offense, sir, but our opinions obviously differ. Yes, the appearance of a purchase definitely effects the buyer, but in the case of a firearm, I have to believe that FUNCTION is paramount. I'm new here, so I don't want to start raising eyebrows, so let's just agree to disagree. I respect your opinion, and would be interested in hearing from other members. Thanks, Walt.

Hey, don't shoot the messenger!  It's not me speaking, it's the consumer.  Once you tke into account nearly all modern rifles of a type are extremely accurate, for many it comes down to which looks best.  I submit that one reason (besides the price) that hampered the Steyr Scout in the market was its strange appearance. 

For the record I have in addition to GSRs, a Steyr Scout and a Remington 600 Scout.  Also, I have a Remington 660 Magnum Super Scout.    I hope that this broad range keeps me from becoming "litter-blind."  I will say among all of them, the R600 and GSR are far easier to look at than the Steyr.

Oh, I just remembered the other consideration that's either 1 or 2: price.

Respectfully,

Walt

Author,
The M14
Brokennock
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 06:38:13 PM »

Regards,

Walt

Sorry Tacomebr, being in the gun sales/shooting range business myself, I have to go with Walt here. I wish it weren't so, but, too many people want what looks cool or they think is cool, or are told they should have by some magazine or internet hero. I would hazard to bet that it does not apply to most on this forum, but for the majority of the gun buying public, popularity, looks, and price come before quality and reliability. Please understand, we are not talking about the type of shooter who would attend a class, sometimes spending more on the training than he/she did for the gun they attend with, we are looking at firearms buyers as a whole.  For Joe Shmoe John Q. Public gun buyer, looks, price, and internet/gun rag reviews make the sale.
TACOMEBR
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 07:19:15 PM »

OK, guys, yeah I agree that the Steyr is one ugly SOB and way too expensive, but I'm not addressing CONSUMERS here, I'm trying to get the opinions of GUN ENTHUSIASTS who have far more experience than I do in long guns. I guess that I'm a little taken aback that the appearance of a firearm out-weighs it's performance. Are you telling me that a pretty rifle that shoots 2 inch groups is welcomed into the SCOUT RIFLE COMMUNITY, but an ugly rifle that cuts holes in not welcome?

I maybe a newbie, gentlemen, but I'm not totally lacking in experience. My employment steered me towards handguns, so since retirement I'm "broadening my horizon" and looking into hunting, rather than defending the community, myself, and my family. (Or for that matter preparing for the CHILDISH FANTASY invasion).

My original post only asked a question: Why is the GSR constantly discussed and the Model10 FCM ignored? I guess I got my answer: The Ruger is prettier than the Savage.

No offense, guys, lets move on.

(Edited)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 05:30:54 AM by Andy » Logged
wjkuleck
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 07:27:07 PM »

OK, guys, yeah I agree that the Steyr is one ugly SOB and way too expensive, but I'm not addressing CONSUMERS here, I'm trying to get the opinions of GUN ENTHUSIASTS who have far more experience than I do in long guns. I guess that I'm a little taken aback that the appearance of a firearm out-weighs it's performance. Are you telling me that a pretty rifle that shoots 2 inch groups is welcomed into the SCOUT RIFLE COMMUNITY, but an ugly rifle that cuts holes in not welcome?

I maybe a newbie, gentlemen, but I'm not totally lacking in experience. My employment steered me towards handguns, so since retirement I'm "broadening my horizon" and looking into hunting, rather than defending the community, myself, and my family. (Or for that matter preparing for the TeleTubby invasion).

My original post only asked a question: Why is the GSR constantly discussed and the Model10 FCM ignored? I guess I got my answer: The Ruger is prettier than the Savage.

No offense, guys, lets move on.

Bingo!!  And none taken Smiley.

Best regards,

Walt
PS Note that my first fireram, about fifty years ago, was an SMLE No V Mk 1 (look it up sometime), so I know about ugly guns that shoot extremely well!  I still have it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 05:32:46 AM by Andy » Logged

Author,
The M14
TACOMEBR
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 07:48:57 PM »

Well, Walt, my first gun was a Smith and Wesson Model 29 with a 7 1/2 inch barrel, so now you know!
triggertime
JAFO

Brass in the air

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 07:54:37 PM »

Hi Tacomebr,

Sorry to be late on this,  but I am one of those "FUNCTION" guys.   Yes,  the Savage is accurate (probably more so than is really needed, but everyone loves tack drivers   Smiley  )  other than that is is a POS,  in my opinion. Take on apart, just be careful not to drop it,  it will most likely bend / break something.  Most likely not as critical as I think when it is in the stock,  but still junk IMO.  

But they do shoot.  I am not huge in the "looks" dept (just look at my 03A3, Ha !)  but I too think the Styer is butt ugly. Most of my serious working guns are plastic/glass and parked/painted steel.

Again,  just my opinion,  since you asked.  

Sue Amigo,
Mark

Take your time, but be quick about it
wjkuleck
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 08:02:17 PM »

Well, Walt, my first gun was a Smith and Wesson Model 29 with a 7 1/2 inch barrel, so now you know!

That's very special, indeed.  I'm familiar with the 6.5" (Dirty Harry) and 8 3/8", but not a 7.5".  The Super Blackhawk, on the other hand, came in 7.5" only.

Best regards,

Walt
PS The M29 is a loser in the ugly contest, though.

Author,
The M14
Whelenshooter
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 09:50:03 PM »

I always considered the iron sights on my Savage Scout to be backup sights.  I didn't like having a big front sight and ramp hanging on the end of the barrel because it would hang up on everything out in the brush, so I came up with this alternative front sight.  I drilled a hole in the aluminum B-Square scout scope rail, and screwed an AR-15 front sight into it (the steel of the AR-15 sight was hard enough that, using some cutting oil, it tapped itself).  I then put the rear Ghost-Ring sight into the middle elevation setting (to give myself some leeway for sighting in different loads), then sighted it in with my all-around 150 grain bullet load by filing it down until it was sighted-in at 100 yards.  This give a very short sight radius (only about eight inches) but it shoots better than you might think.  It will get me back to camp where I have a second scout-scope in quick-release rings that is already sighted-in.  The front sight is low enough after being sighted-in that it fits underneath the scope.  When I bought my first scout scope the only one I could find had a stainless finish.  I don't like how it looks on the rifle, but it works just fine.  Even though this arrangement gives a very short sight radius, it gives surprisingly good accuracy.

Here are photos of my sight set-up:

Whelenshooter
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 10:00:08 PM by Whelenshooter » Logged

Shoot low Sheriff, they're ridin' Shetlands!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Want help with your SMF Forum or WebSite contact Small Networking Assistant!