ScoutRifle.org The Scout Rifle Community
Welcome, Guest. Please Fall In or register.
September 01, 2014, 04:13:59 AM

Login with Scout Name, credentials, and session length
Recon:     Advanced Recon
42362 Posts in 3907 Topics by 1988 Scouts
Latest Scout: northumbrian
* Home Help Recon Fall In Enlist with ScoutRifle.org
+  The Scout Rifle Community
|-+  Scout Discussions
| |-+  Scout Optics
| | |-+  XS Lever Scout Mount on Rossi 92?
0 Scouts and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: XS Lever Scout Mount on Rossi 92?  (Read 2340 times)
Hojutsu
Boy Scout

View Dossier
« on: October 21, 2011, 06:31:30 PM »

Anyone know if the XS Levergun mount will work with the Rossi 92 series?

If so I am thinking of throwing one on an SBR project
michaelb
JAFO

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 09:29:14 PM »

I'd be surprised if it did.  You may want to try the Wild West Guns version.   It calls for some drill and tap but if you or your smith have to tools to make an SBR that should be no trouble.

"The object of the practical rifleman is the achievement of first-round hits, on appropriate targets, at unknown ranges, from improvised firing positions, against the clock." - Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
Ranch Dog
Scout

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 04:42:33 PM »

"Barry in IN", a fellow member here and on another forum I frequent, recommended this site and a google search on this topic brought me to this post, so I thought I would add a bit of info for future Rossi 92 Scout shooters that run across this information.

My inquiry centered on a Rossi  92 chambered in 480 Ruger that I wanted to outfit with a scout scope. It is actually a LSI Puma without the drilled and tapped barrel of the newer Braztech R92s. The 480 Ruger barrel is larger in diameter than that of the standard Rossi 92, closer to the  Win 94 that I have, and I thought one of these bases mentioned above might work.

I contacted the XS outfit and they insisted that none of their mount systems would fit the radius or taper of the Rossi barrel, despite the appearance of being close the the M94. Given the cost, I took their advise.

Next, I contacted Wild West. They also insisted that the base above would not work even though they had no experience with the 92 chambered in 480 Ruger. I went ahead and bought it but it isn't going to be a good fit as the radius is wrong and there is no taper to the mount along its longitudinal axis. I wished I would have taken the time to actually measure this taper as it didn't look like much if any. This R92 barrel, despite be larger in diameter, still has the same 2.5° taper of the standard model Rossi 92s. That is .42 MOA and translates to quite a bit of pointing down at even modest ranges.

I went ahead and bought the Rossi base, I really didn't want to do that but it fits both radius and taper. I have the mount on my other two R92 and have had some problems with it, the screws, and for that matter the way Rossi drills and taps the barrel which is not a concern in this application.

First the Rossi base is covered with a thick coat of paint vs. it being anodized. During heavy recoil the paint gives way where the rings contact it and the same for where the base contacts the barrel radius and the holes through which the screws pass. Sooner, rather than later, the base will not be secure as will the rings contact with the base. The base is aluminum, that is fine as it keeps the weight at a minimum, but I do not think the aluminum is a very good grade. The holes that the barrel screws pass through wear. Anodizing a mount not only provides an opportunity to color aluminum but it also increases the strength of the stock, just like water quenching or heat treating a cast bullet. In that the base is tapered to provide a level surface the, the screws should be a graduated length to provide the same depth of security. As it is, two of them barely tread in the hole and soon strip out, I've had this happen three times between the 44 Mag and 45 Colt. Finally, I don't think the stock the screws are manufactured from is appropriate. They are very soft.

Braztech (Taurus/Rossi) makes quite a bit out of the fact that they manufacture everything used in their firearms. I think they need to pay more attention to the small things concerning their scope bases. I have had quite a bit of problems with them. Finally, I cleaned all contact points of the paint and just JB Welded the base to the barrel. I hate doing something like this as the rifle has no resale without a barrel replacement but so far it has helped. I'm going to send the R92-480 to a gunsmith I use that has the tools and experience with scout mounts. I will see what he can do with Rossi as I need something a bit more secure. I'm not beyond letting him duplicate the Rossi mount with appropriate stock and hardware despite the added cost.

Michael
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Want help with your SMF Forum or WebSite contact Small Networking Assistant!