ScoutRifle.org The Scout Rifle Community
Welcome, Guest. Please Fall In or register.
October 02, 2014, 01:23:17 AM

Login with Scout Name, credentials, and session length
Recon:     Advanced Recon
43427 Posts in 3977 Topics by 2022 Scouts
Latest Scout: wolverine 30
* Home Help Recon Fall In Enlist with ScoutRifle.org
+  The Scout Rifle Community
|-+  Scout Discussions
| |-+  Factory Scouts
| | |-+  New Ruger GSR Stainless
0 Scouts and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: New Ruger GSR Stainless  (Read 11878 times)
Flashman
Scout

View Dossier
« on: September 30, 2011, 10:56:28 PM »

This afternoon I saw an uncataloged Ruger GSR stainless with a walnut stock at a Cabela's (Springfield, Oregon).  It is the first GSR I have seen or handled.  Everything else looks the same as the original in photos and descriptions.  It was noticeably lighter than I expected.  Very impressive.
michaelb
JAFO

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 09:12:23 AM »

I saw an uncataloged Ruger GSR stainless with a walnut stock

That's just what the world needs, a goofier looking RGSR wearing a stock that changes its mood with the weather instead of, say, an 19 inch stainless synthetic, and affordable three round polymer magazines.   Wink

"The object of the practical rifleman is the achievement of first-round hits, on appropriate targets, at unknown ranges, from improvised firing positions, against the clock." - Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
stanleywc
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 05:03:31 PM »

Amen!

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
wjkuleck
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 05:09:21 PM »

Cooper specified subdued for stock & metal.  Stainless would not seem to comply.

Regards,

Walt

Author,
The NEW AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide,
The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide, The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide,
The M14
and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
and The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide[/I]
chongoMT
Cub Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 06:52:54 PM »

I just got on here tonight to tell you guys that there is the same thing at Cabela's in PA.  There was a lot of people so I didn't bother to wait to handle it.  If I saw the $ tag correctly it was around $900. 
wjkuleck
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 07:48:18 PM »

Here's a pic from New Zealand:

I kinda like it.

Regards,

Walt

Author,
The M14
Flashman
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 08:25:37 PM »

The overseas model is not the same as the stainless at Cabela's.  The Cabela's GSR has a 16.5" barrel and the flash hider; it also has a walnut stock.
wjkuleck
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 08:28:46 PM »

Thanks for the clarification!

Regards,

Walt

Author,
The M14
Whelenshooter
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 01:12:59 AM »

Cooper specified subdued for stock & metal.  Stainless would not seem to comply.

Regards,

Walt

I'm afraid you are wrong.  Although a subdued finish is specified, the 1983 Scout Rifle Conference specifically stated that stainless is the prefered material for a Scout Rifle barrel due to its lower coefficient of friction.  It also spoke of putting a teflon finish over the stainless to give it a subdued finish.  It also stated that NO type of barrel extension, flash supressor, or muzzle brake is appropriate for a Scout Rifle!  To my way of thinking the export version of the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle comes much closer to fitting the 1983 design ideas than the standard U.S. version.  The barrel is closer to the right length (18 inches for the export version versus 16.5 for the U.S. version with 19 inches declared to be "optimal"), it has no flash supressor, and it is made of stainless steel.  Although some may disagree, I think the matte finish Ruger puts on these rifles works to make the finish less reflective.  If I could obtain an export version, I'd have it cerrocoated  (sp?) and I think I'd have the bees knees for a Scout Rifle (assuming it was accurate) although I'm sure it probably wouldn't make weight.

Whelenshooter
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 01:14:34 AM by Whelenshooter » Logged

Shoot low Sheriff, they're ridin' Shetlands!
wjkuleck
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 07:27:18 AM »

You are of course correct in your interpretation of the Scout Conference.  Note, I said "would not seem."  To you, it seems to be "it would seem."  I have a lot of stainless Rugers, and would suggest that the matte finish is at best borderline in the "subdued" regard, in my experience.  Of course, Cerakoting (I've done a lot of that, too; I'd have to get a bigger "oven" to cure a barreled action!) would bring us into violent agreement.

If I recall correctly from Cooper's other writings, the most salient feature of a stainless barrel in this context was the inside, that is the contributions of the stainless steel bore to performance and function.

While the flash suppressor is indeed an affectation, the threaded barrel is a convenience and easily finished with a thread protector if desired.  I'm going to do some experiments with a PRI muzzle brake (please, folks, don't call it a "break," unless it's well and truly broken), which would not be practical with an unthreaded barrel.

I would further suggest that the Ruger Frontier is closer than the GSR to the "real" Scout Rifle than the GSR, though the lack of iron sights is a handicap.  Perhaps a set of GSR sights could be adapted.  It's interesting, at least to this writer, to contemplate the evolution from Compact to Frontier to GSR. 

Thanks.

Regards,

Walt

Author,
The M14
Enforcer
Scout Master

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 12:39:39 PM »

Although Cooper preferred stainless material and a subdued finish; it is prudent to remind that neither of these are a requirement. The notes from the Scout Conferences do give some insight regarding the banter thrown about by the attendees; however, the scout concept adopted as a result, is more forgiving and less dogmatic than what we tend to impose. For those who have yet to read my take on the scout concept, I submit these two links for your consideration. Your opinions may vary Grin

http://libertytreeblogs.blogspot.com/2011/04/close-inspection-of-jeff-coopers-scout.html

http://www.scoutrifle.org/index.php?topic=971.0

jackburton
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 05:49:25 PM »

I like my GSR just the way it is and I don't think its "goofy" looking.  I LOVE the flash suppressor, I love that its threaded because I intend to put a suppressor on it.  I love the 10 round mag as well.  As far as accuracy goes, I fired three round groups at 100 yards that were ragged holes with IRON SIGHTS!  I can't do that with my M1A unless its scoped.  When I took it out to the 200 meter gong, I rang it like a dinner bell every time! 

It just seems like there is a LOT of bellyaching about the GSR, I think its a great rifle, just the way it is.  Hits are what counts when it comes to shooting, and this rifle hits where I aim it, every time.

"Okay. You people sit tight, hold the fort and keep the home fires burning. And if we're not back by dawn... call the President."
Whelenshooter
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 07:45:49 PM »

I think you're wrong.  My impression from reading the threads on The Scout Rifle Community is that there is very LITTLE bellyaching about the Gunsite Scout Rifle.  There may be some small faults that some people don't like, but overall everyone seems to love the darned thing!  I like mine too, but if given the choice of the blued U.S. version with a 16.5 inch barrel and the flash supressor or the export version in stainless steel and an 18 inch barrel without the flash supressor, I would take the export model because it fits my DESIRES better!  My complaint is that I seem to be the only person who wants to get an export version here in the U.S.!  Evidently Ruger estimated the majority of the market in the U.S. correctly because most people seem to like the flash supressor, or at least the availability of a threaded muzzle from the factory.  I think we are in agreement that we like our Gunsite Scouts!

Whelenshooter

Shoot low Sheriff, they're ridin' Shetlands!
michaelb
JAFO

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 09:09:40 PM »

My complaint is that I seem to be the only person who wants to get an export version here in the U.S.! 

I don't need another scout rifle, but the only RGSR that interests me is the Export model.

"The object of the practical rifleman is the achievement of first-round hits, on appropriate targets, at unknown ranges, from improvised firing positions, against the clock." - Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
jackburton
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 09:33:38 PM »

Fair enough fellas!  I would buy one of the export version as well! 

"Okay. You people sit tight, hold the fort and keep the home fires burning. And if we're not back by dawn... call the President."
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Want help with your SMF Forum or WebSite contact Small Networking Assistant!