A little over a year ago, I found a Long Branch No4 MkI* that some previous owner had done a very poor job of sporterizing on. I had been interested in the scout rifle concept for several years, and this looked like a good opportunity to build one.
This is what I started with...
and after several months & a lot of work & part replacing, this is what I ended up with.
I cleaned off all the rust and painted the metal with Duracote Black Oxide. I added a taller front sight, and replaced the messed-up rear sight with a MkI micrometer sight, and replaced the magazine with a standard 10-round one. The scout mount is from XS Sights, and was epoxied to the barrel before painting. The stock is what was left of the original military stock, modified for the scout mount and recoil pad & painted with bedliner paint. The scope is a Tasco Custom Shop 7x that I am using for testing, but will be replaced with a 3x Tasco in lower rings for general use.
I haven't shot it much yet, but so far I have gotten about 2 1/2" groups at 100 yds with my .303 match load. I hope this will get better with practice. I'm used to regular scopes, but I think I'm going to like using the scout scope.