ScoutRifle.org The Scout Rifle Community
Welcome, Guest. Please Fall In or register.
October 21, 2014, 03:18:50 AM

Login with Scout Name, credentials, and session length
Recon:     Advanced Recon
43973 Posts in 4009 Topics by 2039 Scouts
Latest Scout: Jpurvis
* Home Help Recon Fall In Enlist with ScoutRifle.org
+  The Scout Rifle Community
|-+  Scout Discussions
| |-+  PScouts and more
| | |-+  Lee-Enfield Scout
0 Scouts and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Lee-Enfield Scout  (Read 12408 times)
Dspig
Cub Scout

View Dossier
« on: August 13, 2009, 11:50:53 PM »

A little over a year ago, I found a Long Branch No4 MkI* that some previous owner had done a very poor job of sporterizing on. I had been interested in the scout rifle concept for several years, and this looked like a good opportunity to build one.

This is what I started with...

and after several months & a lot of work & part replacing, this is what I ended up with.

I cleaned off all the rust and painted the metal with Duracote Black Oxide. I added a taller front sight, and replaced the messed-up rear sight with a MkI micrometer sight, and replaced the magazine with a standard 10-round one. The scout mount is from XS Sights, and was epoxied to the barrel before painting. The stock is what was left of the original military stock, modified for the scout mount and recoil pad & painted with bedliner paint. The scope is a Tasco Custom Shop 7x that I am using for testing, but will be replaced with a 3x Tasco in lower rings for general use.

I haven't shot it much yet, but so far I have gotten about 2 1/2" groups at 100 yds with my .303 match load. I hope this will get better with practice. I'm used to regular scopes, but I think I'm going to like using the scout scope.
Buck Conner
Scout

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 06:31:50 AM »

This little gun looks great, what a difference you have made in a gun that would have been probably used for parts. We see poorly modified WW I/WW II rifles weekly, I'll have to show the guys here pictures of what you did. Great Job. WOW   Shocked

NRA/NMLRA Life Member
Certified Instructor:
   Basic Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun
   Basic Muzzleloading Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun
Andy in NH
Scout Master

Just a (Ret.) Grunt

View Dossier
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 08:18:14 AM »

You certainly brought that rifle back to life!

To me, the bipod detracts from the overall appearance.  What was your thought process for installing it?  Just for zeroing?  Is it easily removable?

The scout mount is from XS Sights, and was epoxied to the barrel before painting.

Is this a common practice?  I'm curious as to the durability of the epoxy as the round count rises.

Again, you have a good looking rifle - I'm just interested in your viewpoints.

Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?

Any fool can be uncomfortable in the field.
praharin
Scout Master

View Dossier
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 04:57:20 PM »

This little gun looks great, what a difference you have made in a gun that would have been probably used for parts. We see poorly modified WW I/WW II rifles weekly, I'll have to show the guys here pictures of what you did. Great Job. WOW   Shocked

You guys ever ship those poor guns off to Pennsylvania to poor guys at great prices?

Wink
Dspig
Cub Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 10:16:30 PM »

Yeah, it was pretty much a Bubba special when I found it. Whoever cut back the barrel did a good job, nice recessed target crown, but the rest was just hideous. The cut-down magazine wouldn't stay locked in place, the rear sight was missing the spacer, so when you flipped it up to use the ladder sight, it would slide left & right, and they cut or filed the top half off of the battle sight to make a half-A$$ed notch sight. Fortunately, all that was easily replaceable, Springfield Sporters is your friend.

The stock looked like a fairly decent walnut, but someone filled in the barrel band groove and the inletting for the rear sling swivel with some ghastly-looking plastic or epoxy that I couldn't remove, that's why I wound up painting the stock & forend.

I'm glad you like it, it was definitely a learning experience for me. It's a little longer & heaver than the 'ideal' scout rifle, but that's OK, I'm kind of a wuss on recoil anyway  Cheesy
Dspig
Cub Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 10:32:57 PM »

You certainly brought that rifle back to life!

To me, the bipod detracts from the overall appearance.  What was your thought process for installing it?  Just for zeroing?  Is it easily removable?

The scout mount is from XS Sights, and was epoxied to the barrel before painting.

Is this a common practice?  I'm curious as to the durability of the epoxy as the round count rises.

Again, you have a good looking rifle - I'm just interested in your viewpoints.

Yes, the bipod can be removed, it's attached to the front sling swivel. I was using it for testing  and to make taking these pictures easier. I usually use a two-point sling with this. The wood forward of the receiver is too thin to allow mounting the 3rd swivel for a Ching Sling.

Mounting the scope rail with epoxy is straight from the manufacturer's instructions. The mount wraps completely around the barrel, and the whole area between the barrel and the mount is filled with high-strength epoxy. I also roughed up the barrel & inside of the mount with coarse sandpaper before putting it together, to give extra surface for the epoxy to grab. It's not going anywhere.

I'm glad you like it. I'm pretty proud of it so far.
David Koch
Scout Master

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 02:41:29 PM »

My friend Wes (on here as trainer_62) just bought a poorly sporterized Lee Enfield that looks exactly like yours.  We're in the process of "scouting" it right now.  When we finish it, I'll be sure that some pictures get posted. 
Trainer_62
Boy Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 10:21:14 PM »

Very nice. Like Dave said my Lee-Enfield looks like the before picture you have up. It gives me hope that I can turn it into a nice looking scout. I love the accessories you have on your rifle.
Dspig
Cub Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 12:11:50 AM »

Very nice. Like Dave said my Lee-Enfield looks like the before picture you have up. It gives me hope that I can turn it into a nice looking scout. I love the accessories you have on your rifle.

Thanks, Dave & T_62. I had a lot of fun building it. Just take your time, and I'm sure your rifle will be as good or better. Is yours going to be on a No1 or a No4?

Here are some closeups on the receiver and the scope mount...

ETA - more photos in the photo section...

« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 12:42:09 AM by Dspig » Logged
Trainer_62
Boy Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 11:26:06 AM »

Mine is a number 4 MK1. It truly will be a work. Thank you for posting those last pictures of the scope mount.
Capt. Killingfield
Boy Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 09:32:01 AM »

....The scout mount is from XS Sights, and was epoxied to the barrel before painting. The stock is what was left of the original military stock, modified for the scout mount and recoil pad......

Sorry for bringing up an old thread.  Upon doing a forum search on "XS Sights", this was the only one.   I'm hoping you guys are still active on here...
Dspig,  when installing the XS Sights scout-scope mount, did you find it difficult to 'center' the rail with the sight line?  Is the mount shaped to 'self-center' along the top of the Enfield barrel?

I just bought a 1944 LE No4MK1* "Long Branch" in .303, have already begun handloading for it, and want to go the same route with the PScout.

Thank you for your time!

If pro is the opposite of con, is the opposite of progress, Congress?
Enforcer
Scout Master

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 02:27:59 PM »

....The scout mount is from XS Sights, and was epoxied to the barrel before painting. The stock is what was left of the original military stock, modified for the scout mount and recoil pad......

Sorry for bringing up an old thread.  Upon doing a forum search on "XS Sights", this was the only one.   I'm hoping you guys are still active on here...
Dspig,  when installing the XS Sights scout-scope mount, did you find it difficult to 'center' the rail with the sight line?  Is the mount shaped to 'self-center' along the top of the Enfield barrel?

I just bought a 1944 LE No4MK1* "Long Branch" in .303, have already begun handloading for it, and want to go the same route with the PScout.

Thank you for your time!

Cap't

welcome aboard!  Attaching the XS scout mount is very simple and easily aligned. There are 2 set screws on the underside of the mount that can be aligned with the receiver lugs and the rail itself can be aligned with the rear sight. Just simply look down from the muzzle end of the barrel and align the rail and set screws. tighten the screws and you are good to go. you can also mark the center line of the receiver and align the mount for an added piece of mind.

FYI Here is a pictorial I have done showing how to attach a XS Scout mount

http://www.scoutrifle.org/index.php?topic=832.0

Capt. Killingfield
Boy Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 01:23:21 PM »

Cap't

welcome aboard!  Attaching the XS scout mount is very simple and easily aligned. There are 2 set screws on the underside of the mount that can be aligned with the receiver lugs and the rail itself can be aligned with the rear sight. Just simply look down from the muzzle end of the barrel and align the rail and set screws. tighten the screws and you are good to go. you can also mark the center line of the receiver and align the mount for an added piece of mind.

FYI Here is a pictorial I have done showing how to attach a XS Scout mount

http://www.scoutrifle.org/index.php?topic=832.0

Thanks much Enforcer for the info!  I had actually read your thread a couple of weeks ago.  It was so informative that I basically stopped researching and had decided to go ahead and start saving up some $$ for the mount.  I was hoping that it would have a flat surface to mate with the flat on the top of the barrel just in front of the receiver, but oh well.  I'll just have to trust my eyes, which is okay, because I used to 'level' things professionally. 
Thanks again!

If pro is the opposite of con, is the opposite of progress, Congress?
Dspig
Cub Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 08:32:40 PM »

Sorry for the necro-post, but I figured this would be the best way to restart my participation on this forum.

Nothing really new with my Enfield P-scout, but I am looking for a new scope. I've been using a Bushnell 2x7 pistol scope, but the eye relief is all wrong. After reading the recent reviews here, I'm probably going to go with the Leatherwood scout scope, since it seems to be the best combination of features & price. I've also thought about using a mini red dot like the Bushnell TRS25, for short range work.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Want help with your SMF Forum or WebSite contact Small Networking Assistant!