ScoutRifle.org The Scout Rifle Community
Welcome, Guest. Please Fall In or register.
November 01, 2014, 05:17:42 AM

Login with Scout Name, credentials, and session length
Recon:     Advanced Recon
44285 Posts in 4030 Topics by 2050 Scouts
Latest Scout: Yetiman
* Home Help Recon Fall In Enlist with ScoutRifle.org
+  The Scout Rifle Community
|-+  Jeff Cooper, Thumper, Baby, more.....
| |-+  Thumper Discussion
| | |-+  Cool Thumper
0 Scouts and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Cool Thumper  (Read 4798 times)
RVM45
Scout

View Dossier
« on: September 23, 2011, 01:54:57 PM »

Check this out.....

Its a Street-Legal Whippet in 12 or 20 Gauge.....

Imagine it as a custom .45-70  Cry

Never mind him--he's cryin cause he can't afford one..... Cry

http://www.bullcreekarms.com/pdfs/BC_whippet.pdf

.....RVM45            Cool Shocked Cool
Stillhunter
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 10:59:22 PM »

What do you suppose they charge to destroy a precious A5 or Mod. 11 like that?  I hope they at least confine themselves to the Jap made models!  

I wouldn't mind having one of those .351's though.  

"You have to remember the country was still half wild then... It was Daddy's Winchester that brought perfect manners out of every single man who rode up to the house" - My Grandaddy
triggertime
JAFO

Brass in the air

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 11:28:50 PM »

Depending on what your home is constructed of,  a 20 ga is probably a better choice in most cases.

A Vang Comped 870 or 590A1 with slugs is probably a whole lot less today than the A5 or Mod 11.

I have heard that the coroner can not tell the differance between a 20 ga or 12 ga slug at 20 ft.

If you live in a class 3 state you could play with a 12" or 16" blunderbuss.

DVC
Mark
who really likes a 70 cal blunderbuss.   Grin     much more usefull than an AR, for a civilian puke,   IMO.

Cheers,

Take your time, but be quick about it
RVM45
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 01:45:57 PM »

Here's a fairly recent price list:

We have three 12 Ga's in stock right now, all Remington 11's. The Remingtons
go for $300 or $425 if re-blued. We will happily convert a customer's gun
for $125 or $250 if reblued. We do use Browning A5's if we can find them for
the right cost and price them accordingly.

Regards,

Tom Wilkinson
11100 Airport Drive
Suite 8
Hayden,  ID  83835
208-660-5135
208-772-6196  fax
www.bullcreekarms.com

I have my father's Belgium Browning--Safety in the Front of the Trigger Guard.....

And if someone hints at altering it at all, they'll be lucky if they didn't hear some very Unchristian Language.

I have seen 12 and 20 Gauge Brownings that started out as far less fancy grades; and had been used hard--that I wouldn't feel at all bad converting.

When you see Whippets on TV, someone is always shooting them from the hip.

Chuck Norris had one in "Lone Wolf McQuaid".He took it all the way to Mexico, presumably, to shoot it from the hip 5 times, and then throw it away like it was a Glock--or something equally distasteful.

Clyde Barrow invented the Whippet--no joke, Criminal's can show ingenuity too.....

He sawed them off the length of one loaded shotgun shell in front of the magazine tube.

That means our legal Whippet probably has 3 or 4 inches more barrel than Barrow's.

There is a limit to how much you can shorten the stock, because of the recoil spring.....

But anyway, Clyde Barrow was a little Jockey-Sized Fart of a man--He and Bonnie were about the same height and reach--and she was a smallish woman.....

But the Idea with the Whippet, was to carry it barrel down, stock under your strong armpit--generally your right--concealed under a coat.

You "Whippet Out" at the first sign of trouble--and fire from the Shoulder!

You may be quite a bit larger than Barrow--hopefully.....

But with perseverance, you should be able to fire it from the shoulder reasonably well--though it will probably be a hard kicker.

They didn't have Pro-Porting ("Mag-Na-Port" for Shotguns) in Barrow's day, but I'd highly recommend it today.

Evan Marshall observed some time ago, that the only shotgun load without a number of Troubling "Fail-To-Stops was the 12 Gauge with 00 Buckshot. He said even Slugs from a 12 Gauge weren't 100% stoppers.

Don't know if I get behind everything Marshall says, but that rang true.

Forget the Slugs momentarily--What goms up shotgun's stopping power occasionally, is failure to penetrate into vital organs.

A 00 Buck will pretty much punch through a rib, at any reasonable distance. A #1? Not a whole lot of data.

A #4--Probably not. The #4's that strike between ribs, should penetrate [Intercostal muscle is pretty tough--ever had tough Bar-Be-Que Ribs?]. The #4's that hit ribs probably won't penetrate.

(They should crack each rib they hit. Anyone who has ever experienced a cracked rib.....But then, a certain percentage of our Clients will be feeling no pain)

With a little bit of bad luck, every single #4 pellet may hit a rib.

In winter, with extra thick clothing? Some 450-500 pound, Sumo-Quick Street people are shielding some of their vital organs with 6 to 8 inches of fat.....

I read that using Buffered&Plated Shot--as well as tightening Patterns--will boost the penetration up one size: #4 will penetrate like#3's; #3's like #2's--if there were such a load; #1's like 0's And 00 like 000.

If I had to rely on the 20, I'd look hard for some of the old 12 #1's. I'm convinced that a 13th #1 could be loaded on the partial hollow between the top three Buck--and if they were all buffered&plated.

24 #3'S--I don't know of a Buffered&Plated #3 Buck. 24 #3 Buck should be somewhat better than 24 #4's--Marginally.

Still, 20 Gauges can be very light--enough to make them noticeably faster handling, and easier to conceal.

I think that for a street load--or in the home--I'd go for buffered& plated BB'S (With the tightest possible choke); and go for headshots.

.....RVM45          Cool Shocked Cool

« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 10:12:19 AM by RVM45 » Logged
justakid
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 07:15:43 PM »

I have a 1929 Belgian A5. That thing ain't ever gettin cut up. It looks like the first owner hunted with it once then it traveled from gun case to gun case for the next half century. I have yet to see one nicer with prettier engraving.

These are cool but I would rather have a dime a dozen 870. Not nostalgic but effective
Stillhunter
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 10:45:20 PM »

I have a 1929 Belgian A5. That thing ain't ever gettin cut up. It looks like the first owner hunted with it once then it traveled from gun case to gun case for the next half century. I have yet to see one nicer with prettier engraving.

These are cool but I would rather have a dime a dozen 870. Not nostalgic but effective

You had better hang on to that, and hunt with it! 

Those whippets aren't priced that high at least.   I too will keep my full stocked 870 w a ghost ring.  I'm waiting on some of Federal's 00buck in the Flite Control Wad to be in stock and I will be paterning it at various distances.  It is supposed to provide the retarded wad effect of The Vang Comp and the Wad Wizzard. 

So far I am liking the Brenneke low recoil slugs and the Federal Tru-ball system low recoil slugs but the Tru-balls left lead fouling on the forcing cone portion of my barrel like I have never seen. 

"You have to remember the country was still half wild then... It was Daddy's Winchester that brought perfect manners out of every single man who rode up to the house" - My Grandaddy
jeffb1911
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 01:01:42 PM »

i'm sure they are using guns that have no collector value for these conversions if they are priced that cheap! 

My social shotguns are my 870 that i carry on duty-20" rifle sighted rem choke barrel with the Modified choke, heat shield, SureFire forend, side saddle and Speed Feed stock.  i keep five 00 buck 8 pellet loads in the barrel, with the Side Saddle loaded with Brenneke slugs.  Then two #2 and two #8 or 7 1/2 in the stock tubes.  This way i can grab the gun and have whatever i need.  This particular barrel will put the Brenneke's into about 4" and 100 yards! 

My 1187 at the house is set up about the same, and it will put Brenneke's into one ragged hole-granted, it is a 2"+ hole!-for as many shots as i want to when i do my part.
justakid
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 06:53:44 PM »

Yall will scour when I say this but.......

I kinda want my AR to shoot shot shells. I know this is blasphemy on this forum but i think it would be cool.

Me and my crazy thoughts
wjkuleck
JAFO

View Dossier
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 07:38:38 PM »

There is an AR .410 shotgun out of Turkey.

http://www.gunblast.com/ATI-T14.htm

Regards,

Walt
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 07:43:02 PM by wjkuleck » Logged

Author,
The NEW AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide,
The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide, The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide,
The M14
and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
and The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide[/I]
michaelb
JAFO

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 08:47:55 PM »

There is an AR .410 shotgun out of Turkey.

If you're going to fight with a 410 that 13 round magazine might come in handy. 

"The object of the practical rifleman is the achievement of first-round hits, on appropriate targets, at unknown ranges, from improvised firing positions, against the clock." - Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
justakid
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 06:59:21 PM »

Make it a 30 then we'll talk
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Want help with your SMF Forum or WebSite contact Small Networking Assistant!