ScoutRifle.org The Scout Rifle Community
Welcome, Guest. Please Fall In or register.
October 20, 2014, 05:31:32 PM

Login with Scout Name, credentials, and session length
Recon:     Advanced Recon
Need a Scout Rifle Sling? www.andysleather.com
43971 Posts in 4009 Topics by 2039 Scouts
Latest Scout: Jpurvis
* Home Help Recon Fall In Enlist with ScoutRifle.org
+  The Scout Rifle Community
|-+  Scout Discussions
| |-+  Factory Scouts
| | |-+  6.5 Grendel, yes in a bolt gun
0 Scouts and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 6.5 Grendel, yes in a bolt gun  (Read 2496 times)
Wapiti
JAFO

1st Special Service Force 1942–44 [Was not a mem.]

View Dossier
« on: September 07, 2011, 12:29:10 AM »

The Savage is too big for the little Russian, and, other than for economy's sake, the 7.62x39 leaves me cold in a boltgun.  OTOH a CZ527 in scout configuration chambered for the 6.5 Grendel would be very interesting.  A flush magazine conversion would improve handling http://www.rvbprecision.com/shooting/cz-527-rifle-magazine-conversion.html If a fella was careful with his materials and dimension maybe such a pseudo-scout comes in under six pounds ready to go, 5.5 maybe?

I am an admirer of the 6.5 Grendel. (But I am not into the AR platform) Not a hot cartridge, does not eat up barrels, flat very far out, still supersonic at 1000 yards, can be very accurate, soft kick, small cartridge (ok, short but fat) , very high BCs depending on specific bullet—on, and on. Alexander and Brennan should be complemented. A "baby brother " of the the  6.5x55 Swedish and .260 Remington?
I am gleaming some of your early posts. Some gold and silver there.
Dave Miller

"Eez gon! Eez not safe!",
As said by a Russian translator. The Art of the Rifle: Special Color Edition; Jeff Cooper, p. 23.

NRA Lifetime Member
PrivateContractor
Scout Master

View Dossier
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 12:34:17 PM »

I have been getting the "Grendel Bug", may have to get a fix for it, probably in a 22 or 24" upper (Yes sadly for an AR platform), and although my experience with the customer service out at AA has left me disappointed as a customer, I have got to give them an applaud for pushing and marketing a viable round. The round is not as sensitive to changes in barrel length as some, meaning a shorter barrel could be chosen, if the scenario required it. However, where it really seems to shine is in the long range department, with high BC bullets (some available from Lapua) able to stay supersonic to 1200 yards. Of course a bolt gun could mean higher pressure tolerances for the reloader to experiment with. As is however, it seems to be a viable choice for big game hunters as well, with new loadings (not just from Alexander Arms), such as the Wolf Gold line, and Hornady. So I guess through all of this rambling I am just saying that I agree that it is a viable choice, should the market continue expanding for it.

-Private Contractor-

Kevin
Private Military Contractor

".........Only the dead have seen the end of war!"
Wapiti
JAFO

1st Special Service Force 1942–44 [Was not a mem.]

View Dossier
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 01:17:13 PM »

I have been getting the "Grendel Bug"…

As is however, it seems to be a viable choice for big game hunters as well, with new loadings (not just from Alexander Arms), such as the Wolf Gold line, and Hornady. So I guess through all of this rambling I am just saying that I agree that it is a viable choice, should the market continue expanding for it.

-Private Contractor-

Yes, Elephants seem to be BIG game. Bell rang quite a few Elephants' bells, but, as Cooper mentioned, Bell knew animal anatomy; shot placement can do a lot, even with the little 6.5. Granted, Bell was using the 6.5x55, but the bullets diameter is the same as the Grendel
And the Europeans have been hunting their large Deer and Elk with the 6.5 for over a century.
The 6.5 Grendel fits nicely between the the 6mm .243, and the 7mm 7x08.

I would like to see how this cartridge would fair in a bolt gun. The smaller framed of us would like it. The whole package could be lighter; receiver, barrel, stock, etc.
Dave

"Eez gon! Eez not safe!",
As said by a Russian translator. The Art of the Rifle: Special Color Edition; Jeff Cooper, p. 23.

NRA Lifetime Member
tomconry
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 11:35:08 AM »

I like 6.5mm rifles and I also like the 6.5G cartridge. That said, since the 6.5G was designed short enough to operate from the AR15 platform, I don't see much gain in using it in a bolt gun.  If you want a 6.5mm bolt rifle, I'd rather have it in 6.5 Creedmore, .260, 6.5X47 Lapua, or even the old standby the 6.5X55 Swede.
munchie3409
Boy Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 08:59:55 PM »

I agree...the big advantage of the 6.5G is that it can be used on an AR15 platform to offer a light weight package.  In a bolt action rifle, there are much better calibers.  Bill Alexander is a Dbag to be honest...he's done more to ruin that caliber than anyone else could have done.

I'd go 260 over 6.5CM...the 6.5CM is the winner in an AR10 platform due to it's ability to allow you to seat your bullets longer.

I like 6.5mm rifles and I also like the 6.5G cartridge. That said, since the 6.5G was designed short enough to operate from the AR15 platform, I don't see much gain in using it in a bolt gun.  If you want a 6.5mm bolt rifle, I'd rather have it in 6.5 Creedmore, .260, 6.5X47 Lapua, or even the old standby the 6.5X55 Swede.
tomconry
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 05:08:48 AM »

Actually, I use .260.  I put tohether a LR rifle in that caliber in the late 90s.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Want help with your SMF Forum or WebSite contact Small Networking Assistant!