ScoutRifle.org The Scout Rifle Community
Welcome, Guest. Please Fall In or register.
October 25, 2014, 03:48:50 PM

Login with Scout Name, credentials, and session length
Recon:     Advanced Recon
Email me for forum approval: andy@shottist.com
44081 Posts in 4013 Topics by 2041 Scouts
Latest Scout: Kaneya
* Home Help Recon Fall In Enlist with ScoutRifle.org
+  The Scout Rifle Community
|-+  Scout Discussions
| |-+  Factory Scouts
| | |-+  Steyr vs. Ruger
0 Scouts and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Steyr vs. Ruger  (Read 3887 times)
PrivateContractor
Scout Master

View Dossier
« on: August 19, 2011, 07:58:18 AM »

Just thought I would share this info with those who might be interested in how the Ruger stacks up against the Steyr in the accuracy department. This information came to me with my recent purchase of a 376 Steyr scout. The gunshop/ former owner included a printout of an article from Gun-Tests.com May 2011/ Vol. XXIII, No.5, which is a relatively well written article comparing the Steyr Scout .308 to the Ruger Gunsite Scout. It does not indicate serial numbers, so we do not know necessarily the variation of the Ruger they used for testing. Their is no sense in me rattling off compared features as most of us know them, however I thought that a remark was needed for the accuracy results which were rather detailed and measured via a chronograph, including the difference in velocities and muzzle energy. The Steyr averaged 25 fps gains over the Ruger with the four ammunitions tested. Which curiously caused me to examine the barrel lengths of the guns tested. The Ruger is stated as having a 17.5" barrel w/o muzzle device. This differs from the advertised length of 16.5". Three 150 grain loads were tested as was one 168 grain load. The smallest group of the day went to the Steyr , when shot with Win Supreme Comp 168-gr HPBT Match it grouped .7" for a three shot group. This was contrasted by the largest group, also shot with the Steyr at 3.9" with Misc. Mixed Ball Ammunition 150-gr FMC. Surprisingly the accuracy results were split 50-50 with the Ruger bettering the Steyr in 2 out of 4 ammunition. 

The Ruger was of course heavier, and weighed in at 8.7 lbs when fully scoped and loaded, as compared to the Steyrs 7.6 lbs.

The biggest determining factor in choosing between the two is going to be price. The Ruger certainly holds it own and at a suggested retail of $995 USD compared to the "as tested retail" of the Steyr at $2975 USD. Anyway it is out there if anyone is interested, all in all Ray Ordorica did a good job on his article comparing the two models. Hopefully this will help someone with their next firearm purchase. Anyway thought I would pass this along.

-Private Contractor-

Kevin
Private Military Contractor

".........Only the dead have seen the end of war!"
Hawkeye
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 10:21:28 AM »

Thanks for the article.  Interesting...
BikerRN
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 03:15:13 AM »

Thank you.

Some of us drive more economical 4 x 4's than others. The same can be said of rifles. While the Steyr may be a great rifle I am more inclined to purchase a "middle of the road" priced rifle than the high dollar one, like Steyr or Blaser. Sometimes it's easier to convince SWMBO, (She Who Must Be Obeyed), that another rifle, costing less than the high dollar one, is needed. Knowing my abilities, and the fact that I am unable to outshoot any rifle I own, tells me that I have a long way to go before I need such a rifle and makes it easier to justify the mid-priced rifle over the most exspensive one in the rack.

Back in my bullriding days I could justify having the best gear I could afford, and, "You only ride as good as your equipment." Since I don't make my living shooting I find it harder to justify such an exspensive rifle.

Biker
alukban
Scout Master

View Dossier
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 06:58:18 AM »

Jeeez... the Ruger GSR sure was expensive enough to me  Tongue

MarkB
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 11:12:16 AM »

There's no way I can drop 3 grand on a rifle!  Think of al the extra goodies and ammo 2 grand will buy. Oh, I'm left handed so no Steyr even if I could afford it and was willing to part with that amount of cash.

Mark

By the way, I got a 0.62" 3 shot group at 100 yards with my left hand RGSR using Federal 168 gr Premium Match ammo.

The Rifle: "In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, because a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized." Jeff Cooper "The Art of the Rifle"

"The right of a citizen to bear arms, in lawful defense of himself or the State, is absolute." Cockrum v. State 1859

USCG GM3 6
ArtL
Scout

Having fun at Thunder Ranch

View Dossier
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 12:34:44 PM »

My Steyr was $1395 when I picked it up at my dealer. He got it for me out of Texas but I don't know where. New ... in the box.... with the shipping and MA tax. I think that is a good deal. Oh that was 6 months ago as my wife wanted to take the one I was using.
PrivateContractor
Scout Master

View Dossier
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 02:41:55 PM »

My 376 Steyr Scout was 1500 unfired from what can be told. I am looking for the original case and sling (the latter available from Steyr) to make it a complete original kit. I also have ordered 400 rounds of ammunition 270 grain Hornady in order to be well prepared. I figure if 400 rounds of 270 grain moving at 2600 fps cannot stop the problem, I have bit off more than I can chew and need to re stategize.

-Private Contractor-

Kevin
Private Military Contractor

".........Only the dead have seen the end of war!"
brain1
Cub Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 10:23:08 AM »

PC
It's alway bad when you bite off more than you can chew.
I have sold both the Ruger and the Steyr's. I think quality and permormance-wise, you will be splitting hairs when compairing these 2.
At half the price the Ruger would be my choice. PrivateContractors Ruger shot 1MOA for me using Federal Match ammo. Not bad for a non-target/match rifle with off the shelf trigger.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time.
Don't wait, go now.
Wapiti
JAFO

1st Special Service Force 1942–44 [Was not a mem.]

View Dossier
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 10:32:32 AM »

PC
It's alway bad when you bite off more than you can chew.
I have sold both the Ruger and the Steyr's. I think quality and permormance-wise, you will be splitting hairs when compairing these 2.
At half the price the Ruger would be my choice. PrivateContractors Ruger shot 1MOA for me using Federal Match ammo. Not bad for a non-target/match rifle with off the shelf trigger.

Telling us the "why did you sell your …" on the forum will save us from crying on our shirts! Cheesy
So, post away, my good man. It nice to hear words from those who shoot. Grin
As opposed to this old geezer who has not shot in years. Sad

Best regards,
Dave/Wapiti

"Eez gon! Eez not safe!",
As said by a Russian translator. The Art of the Rifle: Special Color Edition; Jeff Cooper, p. 23.

NRA Lifetime Member
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Want help with your SMF Forum or WebSite contact Small Networking Assistant!