ScoutRifle.org The Scout Rifle Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Fall In or register.
December 20, 2014, 07:34:07 PM

Login with Scout Name, credentials, and session length
Recon:     Advanced Recon
46081 Posts in 4158 Topics by 2113 Scouts
Latest Scout: straydog
* Home Help Recon Fall In Enlist with ScoutRifle.org
+  The Scout Rifle Forum
|-+  Scout Discussions
| |-+  Scout Optics
| | |-+  Leupold Scout Scope 1.5 X 4 power on Ruger Scout rifle?
0 Scouts and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Leupold Scout Scope 1.5 X 4 power on Ruger Scout rifle?  (Read 11146 times)
Center Shot
Cub Scout

View Dossier
« on: May 26, 2011, 10:22:11 AM »

I am planning purchasing a Ruger Gunsight Scout rifle.   I have ordered the new Leupold scout scope 1.5 X 4.  I would like to mount the scope on the forward rail, and keep the rear sight in place.

I am planning on purchasing the Leupold quick detachable rings for the scope.  I know it is important to get the scope as low on the rifle as possible.  What height of the rings should I purchase, low, medium or high?  What height or rings should I purchase without the rear sight being in the way?

Or do you believe that I should purchase another type and brand of rings that would work better?

Thanks for your response.
Enforcer
Scout Master

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 01:13:35 PM »

Get the medium rings. it will put the ocular approx 0.25" above the rail/receiver; maybe a little less. The rear site will be in the fore ground of your FOV and will not be the focus of your eyes; you will not even notice it.

Sapo
Scout

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 03:40:36 PM »

I asked customer service at Leupold a similar question about the QRW rings and was told I could use the low rings.  Would they work with the Ruger or is medium a better option?
phantom
Scout Master

View Dossier
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 04:52:35 PM »

Get the medium rings. it will put the ocular approx 0.25" above the rail/receiver; maybe a little less.

I may be a little picky, but .25" seems like a big ol' gap.

How much lower are the low rings?

Thumb Toward Enemy.
michaelb
JAFO

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 04:55:05 PM »

I asked customer service at Leupold a similar question about the QRW rings and was told I could use the low rings.  Would they work with the Ruger or is medium a better option?

Always mount a scope as low as it will go.  The closer a scout scope is to the bore line the more you'll appreciate the concept.

"The object of the practical rifleman is the achievement of first-round hits, on appropriate targets, at unknown ranges, from improvised firing positions, against the clock." - Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
george1
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 08:13:37 PM »

By my measurements there is just ove 1/8" difference b/w the low and the medium QRW's. (I measured 3.22mm)
George
Center Shot
Cub Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 09:12:42 PM »

Measured from the bottom of the base of the rings to the bottom of the tube of the rings the Leupold Detachable rings measure as follows:

Low - .230

Medium - .380

My concern is with the low rings the scope will make contact with the rail, or barrel of the rifle.   Has anyone tired the low rings with the leupold  scout scope and ruger rifle?
Enforcer
Scout Master

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 09:54:08 PM »

.25" is not a big gap. The burris medium rings I use give .25 from the receiver to the bottom of the ocular; .125 from the ocular to base. The leopold will be similar. If they recommend low rings for a "scout mount" then go with it; otherwise use medium rings to be safe.

both of these rifles use medium rings; they are not too high by any stretch of the imagination

« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 10:03:05 PM by Enforcer » Logged

michaelb
JAFO

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 05:50:17 PM »

The Colonel was fond of saying that the proper gap between the ocular and the receiver ring is the thickness of a playing card.  Of course, roughly one of his own rifles - Lion Scout - came close anywhere close to this measure.  Still, guns that put the optic right down on the deck handle better.  If you are not looking at the target with the crosswires superimposed on it when you shoulder the rifle - without having to look around for it - the scope is too high (and the comb of your stock may be too low).

"The object of the practical rifleman is the achievement of first-round hits, on appropriate targets, at unknown ranges, from improvised firing positions, against the clock." - Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
Sapo
Scout

View Dossier WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 05:39:23 AM »

Awesome information gentlemen.  I will be trying the low mounts.  Will let you know how I make out.
Center Shot
Cub Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 08:41:24 AM »

I just installed the Leupold low QRW rings on my Ruger Gunsight Scout Rifle, with the Leupold Scout Scope 1.5 X 4 Power.

It was a perfect set up, and I could still leave the rear sight mounted on the rifle.  This is about as low as you could get without the scope making contact with the rail.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 01:05:28 PM by Center Shot » Logged
cqbdriver
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 03:33:47 AM »

Center Shot,

How far back did you have to mount the scope to get proper eye relief?
Center Shot
Cub Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 01:09:42 PM »

Center Shot,

How far back did you have to mount the scope to get proper eye relief?

Approximately 1/4 of an inch from the rear sight using the rifle as it came from the factor without adding any of the stock inserts.  The rear  and front sight in not in the sight picture when looking through the scope.
cqbdriver
Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 07:44:29 AM »

Center Shot,

Thanks for the info. It is what I was afraid of. I like having one stock insert.  That would probably cause me to lose the rear sight.

ETA:  I reread your post - just to clarify, you said "the rifle as it came from the factory"  From the factory, my rifle had one stock insert already installed.  Does your rifle also have the one insert & still clear the rear sight?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 07:47:46 AM by cqbdriver » Logged
Center Shot
Cub Scout

View Dossier
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 07:28:01 PM »

Center Shot,

Thanks for the info. It is what I was afraid of. I like having one stock insert.  That would probably cause me to lose the rear sight.

ETA:  I reread your post - just to clarify, you said "the rifle as it came from the factory"  From the factory, my rifle had one stock insert already installed.  Does your rifle also have the one insert & still clear the rear sight?

Yes it comes from the factor with one spacer installed with a length of pull of 13 1/2 inches.   Each spacer is 1/2 inch. 

In the 2012 Special edition of Guns magazine annual there is a story on the Ruger Gunsight Scout written by Ed Head.

Ed Head is one of the Range Masters at Gunsight.  Heads personal scout rifle in the article has the Leupold Scout Scope 1.5 X4 with no spacers on the buttstock.   I tried this and was pleased with the results.  Better eye relief, but the scope is still close to the rear sight, and the bolt is getting close to my cheek when manipulating the bolt.  I will have to try it out on the range.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Want help with your SMF Forum or WebSite contact Small Networking Assistant!